• Glenn Wilson
    If you missed the first shot but are eligible, register if you can. According to what one SMAFAQ reader who showed up too late to get the first shot, was told, they will contact registered people that have not been vaccinated.
    ~~~~~
    We're getting mixed reports on tourist visas. Some at Cardo have been turned away, other sites report showing DL with CURP on expired tourist getting vaccinated. This goes to the thought of bringing all documentation you have!
    Covid-19 SMA
    ~~~~~
    If you are 60 or older and reside here in SMA get vaccinated March 19-21. For more details see Mexico's Vaccination Plan, Status and News March 19, 2021.
    If you're registered or not, you can go. Bring all and any appropriate documentation (some of this may not be required), such as:
    • a copy of your registration confirmation (if you registered),
    • a copy of your CURP if you have one,
    • your passport or INE,
    • photo id proving age,
    • any visa or residency card,
    • utility bill showing your residence
    ~~~~~
    If you're over 60 and haven't been able to register, you can go to Geeks & Coffee Monday-Friday 10am- 2pm. They will help you at no cost.
    Bring your CURP with you.
    Calz de La Aurora Local 3, Santa Cecilia
    ~~~~~
    Tourist visa? No CURP? Problem registering? "Migrants in Mexican territory will also receive vaccine ... in the absence of any official identification document, they can rely on the Roadrunner Brigades that are located at the points of vaccination. If there was availability of vaccine, that same day they could apply it; otherwise, they will be assigned an appointment."

GW: I take this to mean you can show show up at the appropriate vaccination site for your location and age and go from there. Mexican officials have said vaccinations will be available for everyone and universal, this is the first description that I've seen of how non-resident / non-citizens can proceed. I expect that they will want some proof of identity, age and address like a passport and a utility bill. And, if you have a tourist visa, even an expired one, I would bring that as well. We should know soon if this interpretation is correct.
    https://www.smafaq.com/discussion/4470/mexicos-vaccination-plan-status-and-news-february-22-2021
    ~~~~~
    Three quick tips:
    • Turn off VPN.
    • Try a different browser.
    • Don't translate the site.
    More on those below.

The registration for the vaccination against COVID of older adults (60+ years) has started.
    You want to get your name on the list, but it is not "first registered, first vaccinated."

Each and every older adult is going to be vaccinated, they do not need to reserve their place in line. ... some people thought that the order in which they were registered would be the order in which they would be vaccinated. Don't think that, because it would be wrong. The order in which they appear at registration time has nothing to do with the order in which they are vaccinated.Hugo López-Gatell

Background
    To register for the Covid Vaccine in Mexico currently requires a CURP number. Residents (permanent and temporary) and citizens have a CURP number. Those on a tourist visa do not. I don't know if there might be a future option for people without a CURP number or, if there is, when that might be.

But, see also: No CURP, no problem? in SMA News and Coronavirus Update February 7, 2021.

Before you start, you need to have your CURP number. I suggest you review the section Locating and verifying your CURP below. You will also need a Mexican phone number (you must enter 10 digits so there is no room to enter a country code) where you or someone you trust can later take a call for you with your appointment information.

If this is your first time here, read through this entire post before you start.

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~
    Basic instructions from the wonderful folks at Covid-19 SMA
    1. Enter the page https://mivacuna.salud.gob.mx/
    2. Enter your CURP. In case you don't know it or don't have it on hand, first follow instructions
    later in this tutorial on “Locating and Printing Your CURP”
    3. Verify that your data is correct.
    4. Select the option "I want to be vaccinated."
    More ...

Read through all of the steps at this link before you start. Instructions are from the wonderful folks at Covid-19 SMA ... Vaccine Registration Instructions. | Español.
    These instructions mention a 'Guardar' button. That is no longer there. When you have registered and get a confirmation screen, copy it, take a screen shot or otherwise save that information -- you may need it later. Also, tap the Comprobante ('Voucher') button to get a pdf file with the confirmation information.
    ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

The website is in operation from 8 am to midnight 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It may take a while to get through. If you can not open the website or get an error like '403 Forbidden' it is probably because it is saturated or offline for maintenance ... try again later. Except if you get '403 Forbidden' and have VPN turned on, turn it off and try again.

When you get through and complete information and then hit the Confirm Curp (Confirmar CURP) button or send (enviar) button my advice is to wait a bit for a response, but not longer than 15 minutes. If you get 'Sin repuesta' you'll want to start over.

On the first day of operation there were some reports of interruptions / errors in the service. If you encounter an error try again later.

Some of the process seems to have already changed a little since I registered early Feb 3. Some people have reported a 'captcha' prove you're not a robot step. I never saw that. But, the basic steps seem to be the same.

Which vaccine will I get?
    We don't know at this time which vaccine will be used for any particular person, place or date.

What does it mean to be registered?
    It means that you are on the list. You do not yet have an appointment but you will be contacted later with appointment information based on your age and location.

Turn off VPN. Confirmed.
    I've seen a couple of reports that people are not able to access the website with VPN turned on. I did several tests and that seems to be the case (I got '403 Forbidden' errors with VPN on and did not with it off). If you do not know what VPN is, this probably (?) does not apply to you. Someone would have had to set it up. A VPN creates a secure connection between your computer and the internet and hides your IP address / location. This is commonly used here to watch movies and use other US restricted services that are otherwise not allowed here.

I have also seen '403 Forbidden' errors without VPN enabled.

Note that even when I set the VPN location to be within Mexico it did not work -- I got a '403 forbidden' error. Turning VPN off, fixed that.

Switch Browsers. Maybe.
    If you've been using the site and it has not been working, some have reported that switching to a different browser or a different device has helped. This will effectively bypass any existing cookies stored in that browser for the site which maybe clears a problem. I have seen reports of these browsers working: Brave, Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Safari. Even if you are using one of these, the idea is to try using a different browser if one has not worked for a while. If the problem is cookies stored in the browser, then, if you are familiar with the process, you could instead try clearing the cookies for the site mivacuna.salud.gob.mx . Also, opening the site in Chrome Incognito mode may have the same effect.

On the other hand, there are also reports that the site just started working without changing browsers (that was my experience). I completed the process twice, after many failures, using the Chrome browser on a Mac.

Don't translate the site. Maybe.
    I've seen a couple of suggestions that translating the site in your browser may cause an issue. I don't know if that's the case but, if you are having issues with the site translated, try using it without translation.

Locating and verifying your CURP.
    It doesn't seem to like my CURP or thinks I'm not 60+. What should I do?
    The number is on your Mexican Driver's License and Permanent or Temporary Resident Card. At least it is on mine.

Make sure you entered the CURP correctly including getting Ohs and Zeros right ('O' versus '0'; letter versus number) right. One way to do that is to copy and paste it from someplace else where it is correct. Letters versus numbers is only an issue for the last two digits of the CURP which can be either numbers or letters. The web site currently validates that the other positions are of the right type (numbers versus letters). Still, copy and paste is a good way to make sure the whole thing is right.

To get a good version to copy-and-paste from and to locate and verify that you have the right CURP (and that it is in the system), try going to the Check Your Curp site. You can type in your CURP or find it by using your Personal Data (name, date of birth, etc). See Locating and Printing Your Mexican CURP, including the comments, for instructions.

Once you do that and have verified that your CURP is correct, try using that (copy-n-paste for best results). If that still gives you an error about your CURP then I think it is an error in the system and, for now, I would hope the error gets fixed and I would try again tomorrow.

San Miguel de Allende (or my city) is not an option.
    Select the State/Entity from the dropdown first (Guanajuato for folks in SMA), then select the Municipality. It may take a moment for the list of Municipalities to load -- they will change based on the state selected.

Here is how I filled out the Location section (Entity/State and Municipality are selected from the dropdowns). Select Entity/State before Municipality.

I typed in my CP (for where I live in San Rafael):
    fbq2qfwuj80r9kdj.jpg

I registered earlier but did not get a PDF file / Voucher / Confirmation. Can I get one now?
    Yes. If you registered successfully, go back to the site, enter your CURP, do the robot thing, press Confirmar CURP and your confirmation will come right up (if the site is not overloaded).
    Then press Comprobante ('Voucher') button to get a pdf file with the confirmation information.

What if it's not working / overloaded / I can't get through?
    You are not alone. Relax. Take a break. Try again later -- in a few minutes, hours or another day.

Yippee! I registered. When can I expect a call with an appointment?
    I don't really know but it seems unlikely that you will get an appointment before your vaccine is in the country or at least Mexico has a good idea of when it will be here. The state of GTO is waiting on the next shipment of vaccines on February 16 earmarked for front line health workers.

Feb 12: There are reports of people being called to check if they want the vaccine and are able to travel to where the vaccines will be administered. No appointments set yet, but instruction that they will call back within the week with date and location details.Covid-19 SMA

A lot of people are nervous about receiving the “Vaccination Call” in Spanish. Through posts, several people have indicated the following 4 questions are asked during the 1st call, which is the “Confirmation Call”.
    The Confirmation Call Script

The word of the day ...

Millions are trying to get their name on a list so they can get a phone call for an appointment where they can get the first shot of a vaccine that has not arrived in Mexico and probably has not been manufactured yet. The whole process may take a while and we are still at the beginning.

Questions?
    I'll help if I can. Leave a comment or email me at .

More in the category Health and Medical.

Register or sign up for our daily email digest.
  • Glenn Wilson
    Despite the statement that the site operates from 8 am to midnight* I was able to register this morning (Feb 3) at about 4 am. This was using a Mac computer and Chrome browser. (I've seen reports of other people being successful with other computers / browsers.)
    mm15xzuuwfh32hcl.png
    In English, that says:

You have been successfully registered.
    With the folio: AM-XXXXXX.
    Wait for our call where we will indicate your date and place of vaccination
    CURP: WIXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

When I pressed the Comprobante ('Voucher') button it appeared to be disabled.* But, I got the above confirmation message and folio number, so I think I'm registered.

I retried several times after this first registration and I was eventually able to complete a second registration, for my wife, at 4:49 am this morning. When it didn't work the screen just changed to showing the basic page and hours of operation:
    dgj11o1jclwtglyw.png

* The site now operates 24/7. The Comprabante button does work now and it provides a pdf file with the registration confirmation information,
  • Patrice Wynne
    That is a Super Tip, Gracias, Glenn!
  • Paulette M Quann
    Thank you for the uplifting info. Your work is very much appreciated!
  • Raven
    Glen, super helpful info on Covid vaccine sign up...appreciated!
  • Glenn Wilson
    Possibly helpful for some foreigners in Mexico that have initiated a process for Permanent or Temporary Residency (or otherwise stay) but don't have it yet? Maybe if your application is being held up for some reason? I don't understand when, how or why this would be better or faster than completing the process for Permanent or Temporary Residency, but I am putting this here in case it is helpful.

Did you know that if you are a foreigner and you are in Mexico, you can request the CURP Temporary Certificate for foreigners?
    If you are a foreign person and you are in Mexico, you can request the Temporary Certificate of the CURP for foreigners, which will be valid for 180 or 365 calendar days

The temporary certificate will be issued for a period of up to 180 or 365 calendar days, as the case may be, to foreigners who are in Mexico and who have proven that they have initiated the procedures to remain in national territory in the condition of regular stay ( With the exception of the stay referred to in section III, article 52 of the Migration Law), before the National Institute of Migration (INM) or the Mexican Commission for Aid to Refugees (COMAR).

The certificate will be in force until the INM or the COMAR issue a final resolution that determines the immigration status of the foreign person.
    Did you know that if you are a foreigner and you are in Mexico, you can request the CURP Temporary Certificate for foreigners? (sp) | English.
  • ALFREDO S LANIER
    Thank you Glenn for compiling this information. Al Lanier and Stew Hammer
  • Glenn Wilson
    You're all welcome.

The core instructions come from the essential Covid-19 SMA website and Facebook page folks. I added some background and context.
  • Glenn Wilson
    The 3 million elderly people who live in rural communities will be vaccinated in a week through the presence of 20 thousand Roadrunner brigades , promised the Undersecretary of Health, Hugo López-Gatell.
    López-Gatell promises to vaccinate 3 million older adults in a week. (sp) | English.
  • Lisa Rall
    Does anyone know if a certain browser is needed to access the registration site successfully? I've tried entering my CURP several times and just end up dead-ended.
  • Glenn Wilson
    I don't know if only certain ones work. I do know that a Mac and Chrome browser worked for me. But, what you describe also happened to me (at least in a general sense), and, apparently many people.
  • Lisa Rall
    Thanks for your reply. I'll try again...and again...
  • Sonia Breeze
    i keep entering my CURP then click the confirmation CURP button and get nowhere -- sometimes it says No response from RENAPO
  • Glenn Wilson
    I think that is another symptom of the site being overwhelmed or maybe temporarily broken. It does not really matter which, because for either all you can do is try again later.

Also, I understand that in some cases the Confirm CURP button is disabled after entering a valid CURP. If you see that make sure that the CURP you entered is correct and if it is ... wait a while and try again later.

Remember, from above ...

He also indicated that those who cannot register on the platform should not worry, since it will be open permanently, 24 hours a day.

He stressed that the order of registration does not influence the assignment of the shift to receive the vaccine and stressed that people without CURP will also be able to register once they obtain it.

"The order of registration is not the order of vaccination, do not feel that they have to register before so that it will be their turn, the advance of vaccination is scheduled with equal priority to 32 states," he said.

Saturation in registry for anticovid vaccine reflects enthusiasm to receive doses, says López-Gatell. (sp) | English.
  • Carol Lopes
    This is great. Thank you. Too bad they don’t have us show up by age group with ID. Like getting new license plates.
  • Carol Lopes
    It took a long time to get in to the website. I’ve entered my CURP. I clicked on •confirm CURP” and nothing happens. I’m super disappointed they couldn’t come up with a functional roll out plan. This is a slap in the face. Very angry.
  • Glenn Wilson
    It can be frustrating. I experienced the same or similar several times before I got through.

It may help to keep in mind, as noted above, ... the order of registration does not influence the assignment of the shift to receive the vaccine ...
  • Sonia Breeze
    Thanks Glenn
    I will just keep trying
    Sonia
  • Sonia Breeze
    Thanks Glenn, I finally got registered. It took me two days of constantly trying.
    Sonia
  • Glenn Wilson
    Thanks for letting us know!
  • DebK
    I got through to the website and have entered my CURP many times -- both on my computer and my phone. Then I get "Sin Respuesta". Is anyone else getting that? Did the people who succeeded eventually ever see that response?
  • Glenn Wilson
    I never got that but I did just get a screen with the hours of the website as I show above. I think the response you see is meant as as minor improvement that catches and reports the error instead of ignoring the error and showing a mostly empty screen with no useful information. If they are going to fix the issues, including capacity, it helps to capture and report (and record them in a log file for their purposes) the errors.
  • DebK
    thanks Glenn. When it doesn't go to "Sin Respuesta" it just hangs up on "Consultando" with 2 circular icons spinning around on both sides of the word. So I'm really asking if people who are trying today, not the other night, are getting either of these responses. thanks!
  • COLIN HARNETT
    BUT it does not work, we have been trying since it opened, it just spins around and around, Viva Mexico!
  • Glenn Wilson
    Via email: This morning, every time I enter my Curp I get a message that it doesn't recognize it. I am entering the 18 digits that are printed on the front of my permanent residence card so I don't know what else to do. Do you have any suggestions?

The obvious is to make sure you entered the CURP correctly. Less obvious is to get Ohs and Zeros right ('O' versus '0'). One way to do that is to copy and paste it from someplace else where it is correct. It may matter if you have leading or trailing blanks in the entry field.

To get a good version to copy-and-paste from and to verify that you have the right CURP (and that it is in the system), try going to the Check Your Curp site. You can type in your CURP or find it by Personal Data. See Locating and Printing Your Mexican CURP, including the comments, for instructions.

If you do that and have verified that your CURP is correct, try using that (copy-n-paste for best results). Again, make sure there are no leading or trailing blanks.

If that still gives you an error about your CURP then I think it is an error in the system and, for now, I would hope the error gets fixed and I would try again tomorrow.
  • Glenn Wilson
    Via email:
    I have entered my CURP. The next thing that happens is that I get a screen with Consulting and two spinning circles on each side of the word consulting. The screen was on all night. Has this been happening to others? Should I just let it keep going?

Yes, it is happening to others. Personally, I would give it a max of 15 minutes before moving on and trying again later. When it worked for me it loaded the next screen in a few moments, less than one minute.
  • DebK
    My CURP is correct and of course I'm pasting it in correctly every time. Glad to hear others are getting the same response. I guess it's a game of rinse and repeat until you get in. Thanks.
  • Carol Lopes
    Thanks Glenn. I’m getting the “consultando”. And buffering wheels for over an hour. Should I just start over at this point?
  • Glenn Wilson
    It is happening to others. Personally, I would give it a max of 15 minutes before moving on and trying again later. When it worked for me it loaded the next screen in a few moments, less than one minute.
  • COLIN HARNETT
    Finally I did get registered, so if you are having trouble doing so, please do persevere!
  • Glenn Wilson
    Thanks for letting us know. Any new tips or tricks you can pass on?
  • Josh Geller
    I've had all the experiences of the above people ranging from the spinning wheels going on endlessly or stopping after a few seconds, receiving no messages, message that my CURP didn't exist, messages that there was no answer, etc. Out of the blue my attempts were successful and now I'm waiting for a phone call with the information about date and location. I think you just have to keep trying. I would make 3-4 attempts every hour and wait no longer than 30 seconds before reloading the application website. BTW, I tried several browsers on my computer as well as on my phone. There was no difference in my results. The final success came with my Android phone using chrome. Good luck.
  • Glenn Wilson
    Thanks Josh. Slowly, but surely ...
    Coronavirus in Mexico: almost 500 thousand older adults have registered to receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
    RLZOFT7XVFAN3AFUUDUWHLBJNU.jpeg
    Hugo López-Gatell, Undersecretary of Prevention and Health Promotion, reported this Thursday that at the last cut more than half a million records have been counted on the COVID-19 vaccination platform for older adults.

"According to the Coordination of National Digital Strategy, to this day there are almost half a million records of elderly people on the platform http://mivacuna.salud.gob.mx" he wrote on his Twitter account.
    Infobae (sp) | English.
  • Robert Shannon

Followed your lead!

I grabbed my iPad, and went to my chrome browser, second try I got registered

Thank you for that tip

Good luck to all,

Robert
  • Patricia Verplank
    Thanks for the tips. However I got on this morning early and started the registration----BUT when it came to municipality, there was nothing I recognized! What did others put? There was no GTO, no Queretaro, no SMA on my dropdown list and it would not let me type in my own. So, it won't let me send because that section is blank. Help, please. Thanks
  • Josh Geller
    Patricia, I don't know how to help you. The drop down list has guanajuato as one of the states. Once you pick that the municipalities for gto show up and San Miguel de allende was there. Sometimes these drop down lists are not arranged alphabetically
  • Glenn Wilson
    Here is how I filled out that section (Entity and Municipality are selected from the dropdowns). Select Entity before Municipality.

I typed in my CP (for where I live in San Rafael):
    fbq2qfwuj80r9kdj.jpg
  • Stella Garcia Nilsen
    I used the Firefox browser and it took minutes.
  • Glenn Wilson
    Took minutes and worked?
    I heard back from Stella via email. Yes, it worked and this was with Firefox on an iPad. Thanks Stella!
  • Brooke
    Patricia...same thing happened to me! First it would say no option, then just Mexico showed up, so I clicked that then all these states or cities appeared, none of which were recognizable.
    Long story short, I believe I registered for some other location. If anyone has any tips on how to rectify this I’m open for suggestions. My husband, who registered right after me, got all the correct drop downs, so I knew I messed up! We got right on about 9:45 pm. Last night. Thanks!
  • Julie Garfield
    Like so many, I tried 10 times at various hours of the day on Google Chrome without success. At 11:30 p.m. tonight I switched to Firefox. Instead of English, the site opened up in Spanish. I filled out the form, as before, and it was immediately accepted. When I pushed the "cobramento" button, I got a PDF receipt. Good luck, everyone! Julie Garfield
  • Dan
    I have not seen any feedback on receiving a phone call. I succeeded in registering on Thursday night. Friday morning I missed a call from a Queretero number (442 595 4893).

Are they calling that quickly after registration? If I miss the call, can I assume they will try again? One would hope so. I don't have voicemail.
  • Glenn Wilson
    They are calling older adults that receive a Mexican pension to register them. Those folks don't need to use the platform to register.

But it is waaaaaaaay too early to be getting a call to set an appointment from registering on the platform. There are no vaccines available in the state of GTO today. The next batch is due Feb 16 and it is allocated for front line health care workers.

I don't have any inside information, this is just from news reports and similar. The specifics of how it will be handled, what happens if you miss the call, etc. I don't know. I hope that information becomes available as the program moves forward.

If anyone does get a call to schedule a shot, please let us know!
  • Don Bell
    What just worked for 2 of us was that our MX friend put it through on his Android phone in Spanish. Success. Now we wait for phone calls.
    Don
  • Rhonda Lerner
    Thanks a million for the FAQs! Followed Don's instructions (my Mexican phone, Google search, Spanish language = Success! Gracias for the help!
  • Glenn Wilson
    Feb 12: There are reports of people being called to check if they want the vaccine and are able to travel to where the vaccines will be administered. Covid-19 SMA
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.