• Glenn Wilson
    Lorie Topinka: Maybe it’s the closeness to Día de Los Muertos that led me to choose this scene in Nonnie and Ed Markeset’s lovely garden. The fountain does somewhat resemble a tiered altar with colorful offerings and this is the first thing one sees upon stepping out the back door. Nonnie later told me that the fountain is dedicated to her mother whose idea it was to build it there.

It was a cold and cloudy November day that presaged rain so it made sense to huddle under the roof extension to paint. We were lucky, and while a little on the cool side, it did not rain and we wiled away a couple of hours doing what we both enjoy—plein aire watercolor painting.

This small vignette of Nonnie and Ed’s garden doesn’t begin to do justice to the complexity and beauty of their large garden. If you look closely at my painting, you can make out the roof of the gazebo through the open window. On the other side of the wall and window is what I would call a lanai room which is open to the entire garden…a sort of living room that’s always on vacation.

Click through to continue reading and see the delightful garden watercolors. Travels along the Laja: Gardens Brighten Even The Grayest Of Days. More #TravelsAlongTheLaja.

Travels along the Laja: A New Book!

More in the category Art, Literature, Museums, Music, and Theaters.

Register or sign up for our daily email digest.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.