• Glenn Wilson
    Mexperience: New legislation was passed into law in August 2019 that gives the Mexican state wide-ranging powers to seize physical property in the event that the property is suspected to be –or suspected ever was– linked to illicit or criminal activity.

Known in Spanish as Ley Nacional de Extinción de Dominio, the law enables a judge to immediately order the seizure of a property that is suspected to be part of a corrupt or illegal transfer chain (for example, if previous owners used illicit means to acquire it or build it) and/or if it’s suspected the property is being actively used for criminal purposes.

The law is causing some controversy especially in relation to a present owner’s risk of loss due to an illicit transaction history that the owner could not have known about. Under this law, a property may be immediately seized without trial if the authorities present a petition to a judge and that judge deems that there are grounds to suspect the authorities have a case. The state may subsequently dispose of the property even before a trial has taken place.

Continue reading at Mexperience: Make Sure You Know Who’s Renting Your Mexican Home.

Also see: Requirements for Renting Out Property in SMA.

More in the category Finance and Legal.

Register or sign up for our daily email digest.
  • Phyllis snyder
    I’m concerned that my new landlord doesn’t provide receipt for rent payment. I understand that it’s the law they must provide the fiscal receipt? Please let me know your thoughts on how to approach this matter. Gracias!
  • Glenn Wilson
    I don't know the law about this. Is the purpose just to have proof that you paid?

How are you paying? Is it self-documenting (like a check)?

If cash, maybe you can get a receipt book, and have the landlord sign when you pay?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.