• Glenn Wilson
    We are thinking about taking a short trip (maybe 2-4 days) to México City. This would be our first time there except for landing at the airport once en route to SMA.

Any recommendations for a hotel in Mexico City and places to go / things to do for first time visitors? We are interested in the Frida Kahlo Museum so any advice specific to that would be great. But, we are also open to all other suggestions as well.

And what about transportation? It seems that buses are an efficient and inexpensive way to get there and back from San Miguel de Allende.
  • Ken Smith
    For the Frida Kahlo museum, go on a day other than Sunday if possible. On Sundays, Mexican citizens enter for free. We stood in line for about 30 minutes to enter as a result. I suspect that on weekdays you might walk right in.

If you have any interest in the indigenous cultures and artifacts, do not miss the Anthropology Museum near Chapultepec park. Their collection is truly outstanding.

For our two trips to the city, we stayed in very American hotels, once at the Hyatt in Polanco because I wanted to stay on points, and once at the Hilton Reforma because we were attending an International Living conference at that venue. Both are fantastic (and priced to match!), but they don't give you a flavor of the city.

I hear a lot of people recommending the Red Tree House as a hotel.

Enjoy, and eat lots of tacos!
  • Sher

Mexico City is a wonderful place to visit. We like to stay in the Centro at the Hotel Cathedral, only a couple of blocks from the Centro. It's fun to explore the different neighborhoods, like Zona Rosa and Chapultepec. The Centro has some wonderful museums: just Google Mexico City Museums for descriptions and locations. Frida Kahlo's house, La Casa Azul, is in a superb known as Coyoacán. It's gotten very crowded. Go on a weekday if you can. Chapultepec and the Archeology Museum are also two of my favorites. Also the Diego Rivera Mural near the Belles Artes and the central park. Buen Viaje!
  • Nory Contractor
    Don’t think about it, do it! It’s a really incredible city. The museums and the Chapultepec park are a must! My favorite restaurant is Patria Nostra-reservations are required. It’s a little pricey but worth the experience!
  • Glenn Wilson
    This article was recommended via email (Thanks!):

Parks, galleries, historic sites, museums, cantinas—the appeal of Mexico City lies in its inexhaustible offerings. While there's no way you’ll manage to cover all of the must see and dos in one trip, sticking to one neighborhood a day keeps things manageable. No matter how you end up spending your time in Mexico's capital, one thing is for sure: you’ll be scheduling your second trip before your first is even finished. — SCARLETT LINDEMAN and SUSANNAH RIGG

Continue reading at 23 Best Things To Do In Mexico City.
  • Oscar Ortega
    If this is your first time in Mexico City area, I recommend:

1) Visit Teotihuacan. This is the most important archeological zone in the area, you will see the famous Sun and Moon pyramids. I strongly recommend to hire an official tourist guide at the entrance.

2) Downtown visit: Start your day visiting the Cathedral, walk 5 de Mayo Avenue and then visit Bellas Artes Museum, Postal Office Palace and National Art Museum (MUNAL). These museums have great expositions but if this is your first visit you will enjoy the 1900's architecture and style.

3) Buy the Touribus ticket at National auditorium or downtown. The bus will give you a tour with explanations but you have the chance to use it as your main transportation because you can leave to visit a museum and then take the next one for other place.

I think this is enough for two or three days, but also you can consider:

3) Frida Khalo and Diego Rivera House in Coyoacan and Diego Rivera Museum (Anahuacalli). Usually if you buy the ticket for one museum you get the entrance for the second for free

4) Museo de Antropología e Historia and Castillo de Chapultepec

Where to stay.... If you like business hotels I recommend Hotel City Express Reforma, is great located and the area is very nice for walking. Also, Gran Hotel de la Ciudad de México in downtown, is a historic and lovely place. You will enjoy the building architecture. Even if you don´t stay at Gran Hotel you need to visit one day.

Where to eat... I guess it depends on the visit but some ideas:
    - Los Almendros... this is a restaurant in Polanco with Yucatan's menu
    - Los Canarios... different branches in the city... mexican traditional food
    - El Bajio... different branches in the city... Mexican food... I recommend breakfast
  • Margaret Paul
    I recommend El Patio 77 in a very exciting neighbourhood called San Rafael which is full of mansions dating from the turn of the century and are being refurbished. The area has many great art galleries and the owners Alan and Diego will give you tips about where to eat. Great place!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse. Registration is required to post or vote in polls.