• Glenn Wilson
    Lorie Topinka: When Alfredo García-Lucio and Jim McKeever describe their garden as a series of rooms, one feels that for them home is wherever the garden is.

Jim took me on an all too quick tour of this remarkable garden and I wanted to forget painting and just continue exploring each garden room, path, and nook and cranny. Doing justice to this complex 2½ acre garden (1 hectare) would take a long time…so forgive me if this essay only scratches the surface of a most remarkable and personally designed garden.

I knew that I was in for a treat when, as we pulled in the driveway, I saw the most amazing nopalera—a stunning display of 300 prickly-pear cactus planted close together (mere inches apart) and planted in a particular orientation to the sun along a curvilinear path. It reminds me of pictures of the Terracotta Army.

Click through to see the delightful garden watercolors or subscribe to Travels along the Laja: All Gardens Are A Form Of Autobiography—Robert Dash. More #TravelsAlongTheLaja.

More in the category Art, Literature, Museums, Music, and Theaters.

Register or sign up for our daily email digest.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.