• Pat Hall
    Many years ago I worked at the reference desk in the library of the Universidad de las Américas in Cholula, Puebla, Mexico. One day I noticed one of the other reference librarians, a man named Luis, motioning with his hand. To my uneducated eye he was just waving his hand around at library patrons on the other side of the counter. When I asked him what he was doing, he explained that his hand signal meant "just a minute", "right away", and "a little bit". He said that if he were busy with one library patron, he could communicate across the room with other people using his hand to tell them that he would be with them soon.
    If you would like to read more about Mexican hand signals, go to my article: https://www.lokkal.com/sma/magazine/2022/august/hand.php
  • Pat Hall
    Many years ago I worked at the reference desk in the library of the Universidad de las Américas in Cholula, Puebla, Mexico. One day I noticed one of the other reference librarians, a man named Luis, motioning with his hand. To my uneducated eye he was just waving his hand around at library patrons on the other side of the counter. When I asked him what he was doing, he explained that his hand signal meant "just a minute", "right away", and "a little bit". He said that if he were busy with one library patron, he could communicate across the room with other people using his hand to tell them that he would be with them soon.
    If you would like to read more about Mexican hand signals, go to my article:
    https://www.lokkal.com/sma/magazine/2022/august/hand.php
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.