• Glenn Wilson
    Updated in comments June 23: ... does this mean that ... I will have to pay taxes on my USA-based pension investments, earning activity, or rental income, and is my ROTH IRA safe from foreign taxation?

    Updated in Comments June 14: Angel Marin Diaz: Taxes, RFCs, and More.
    Updated in comments: Deadline extended to January 1, 2023.

    Do you have questions or concerns about recent tax reform changes concerning expats and RFCs, Constancia de Situación Fiscal and CFE electric bills? Here are a few resources with some additional information and clarity -- especially the excellent Qroo Paul videos below.

    Tax reform requires expats to obtain taxpayer registration by July 1.
    All foreign residents in Mexico will soon be required to have a tax number due to a recent tax reform.

    Temporary and permanent residents aged 18 or over or anyone with a CURP identity number must have an RFC number by July 1 whether they earn income in Mexico or not.

    RFC stands for Registro Federal de Contribuyentes, or Federal Taxpayers Registry. RFC numbers are used by the federal government for a range of purposes, among which are to track income and detect potential cases of money laundering.
    Mexico News Daily (Paywalled -- this will count as one of your free articles if you are not a Mexico News Daily subscriber).
    Also see: Mexperience FAQs: What is Mexico’s RFC, and What is it Used For?

    Qroo Paul: How to Apply for a Mexican RFC.

    Qroo Paul: How to Find Your RFC Online.

    Qroo Paul: How to Get Your "Constancia de Situación Fiscal" Online.

    Qroo Paul: What CFE Needs From You by June 30, 2022.

    Qroo Paul: Stressed About the RFC and CFE Deadlines?

    Watch the whole video, but the quick takeaway is that the short-term concern is if you do not provide this info to CFE you may not be able to deduct your CFE from Mexican taxes. Which most expats don't do anyway.

    More in the category Finance and Legal.

    Feedback or questions? Please leave a comment below or email .

    Sign up for our daily email digest | Join SMAFAQ on Facebook.
  • Glenn Wilson
    Why do I need to have a Federal Taxpayers Registry (RFC)?
    By Angel Marín Díaz. This question, and a follow-on that asks what is a tax status certificate—Constancia de situación Fiscal—are the most recent and most pressing questions I have been …
    Atención San Miguel
    Published by Atención San Miguel at May 30, 2022 8:38 am.
  • Glenn Wilson
    The SAT extends the new CFDI 4.0 electronic invoice; will take effect from January 1, 2023.
    MEXICO CITY (appro).- The Tax Administration Service (SAT) announced that the entry into force of the new CFDI 4.0 electronic invoice is postponed.

    Originally the provision would start on July 1st.
    Proceso (sp) | English.

    SAT gives extension for proof of the tax status.
    The SAT informs that the deadline for the delivery of the proof of tax situation is extended to January 1, 2023.
    Periódico AM (sp) | English.
    Published by Periódico AM at June 08, 2022 12:30 pm.
  • Glenn Wilson
    Angel Marin Diaz: Taxes, RFCs, and More.
    By Angel Marin Diaz. Tara and Greg from Newport, California, ask: Hello Angel, Thanks for this format. We follow it weekly and greatly appreciate the information you provide! Our question …
    Atención San Miguel
    Published by Atención San Miguel at June 13, 2022 9:07 am.
  • Glenn Wilson
    Living in Mexico indefinitely doesn’t mean you’ve necessarily escaped accountability with the Internal Revenue Service.
    By Sarah DeVries

    As a US citizen living in Mexico, do I need to file with the IRS?

    The US government can even get Mexico to collect your tax debt on its behalf.

    Since the article about the taxpayer registration requirements was published, there have been a lot of questions regarding the tax obligations of foreign residents in Mexico.

    This article will not address expats’ tax obligations to Mexico specifically but rather the tax obligations of United States citizens to their home country. ...
    Atención San Miguel
    Published by Atención San Miguel at June 14, 2022 9:27 am.
  • Glenn Wilson
    Legal Q & A with Angel June 21, 2022
    Hi Angel, ... I have been following the confusion following the new RFC requirements, does this mean that under “UNIVERSAL” Mexican taxation that I will have to pay taxes on my USA-based pension investments, earning activity, or rental income, and is my ROTH IRA safe from foreign taxation?

    ... “any and all activities that bear financial gain” within Mexico are taxable.

    Rest easy your 401k, self-directed IRA, ROTH account, savings accounts, stock portfolio and pension funds abroad are safe from local taxation.
    Legal Q & A with Angel June 21, 2022
    Read the whole piece for more information and nuance and this is for informational or educational purposes and should not be construed as tax or legal advice. Contact a professional for advice about your situation.
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.