• Glenn Wilson
    Colette Morya: Mexican textile art has centuries of history. Looms appear in Nahuatl codices. Mayan culture has been turning ribbons and wool yarns into ancestral crafts since prehistory. Textile production is a laborious process that is transmitted from generation to generation. The weaving style varies according to the region of Mexico and its traditions.

Some years ago, I encountered this art for the first time in Teotitlán del Valle, in Oaxaca. In that place, artisans open the doors of their workshop to show the development of that region's traditional rugs. On more than one occasion I had the opportunity to marvel at the concentration and dexterity of a true Zapotec weaver. For me it was almost impossible to imagine how to coordinate the order of the threads to form the figures. Difficult as it was, still I was curious to learn. I found just watching the process very comforting. Perhaps a little relief from my obsessive-compulsive side would not hurt me. Repetitiveness is always very relaxing.

Read and see more at Lokkal: Weaving a Pattern of Mastery.

More in the category Art, Literature, Museums, Music, and Theaters.

Register or sign up for our daily email digest.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.