• Glenn Wilson
    a0gu1i9xxmqzbey1.jpeg

Bonnie Lee Black wrote: Martha Stewart and I go back aways. We’ve never met, but our lives have followed somewhat parallel paths. We’re about the same age (she’s three years older); both from New Jersey; both were models when young, then later became caterers in New York; we were both about the same size, shape, and coloring; both gave birth to one child, daughters, born within days of each other in 1965; both love cooking, homemaking, gardening… The list goes on and on.

She’s uber-famous, of course, and I am not. But that’s quite all right with me.

There was a time, though, when I achieved a modicum of Martha Stewart-like fame: when I was a Peace Corps volunteer in my early fifties in Gabon, Central Africa. This experience struck me as funny at the time, so I wrote about it humorously in my Peace Corps memoir, How to Cook a Crocodile (Peace Corps Writers, 2010). Here, to illustrate, is an excerpt from that true story in the chapter, “The Martha Stewart of Gabon” ...

Continue at The WOW Factor: The Martha Stewart of Gabon. More #WOWFactor.

More Blogs from News Wire Mexico.

• Bonnie Lee Black
    Thanks so much for sharing this, dear Glenn. I hope your readers read to the end to get the SMA connection! -- BB
  • Patrice Wynne
    What a wonderful read! Gracias, Bonnie! I thoroughly enjoyed your story and always your writing!
  • Bonnie Lee Black
    Thanks so much, Patrice! And thank you, Glenn, for posting it again. -- BB
  • Glenn Wilson
    And thank you, Glenn, for posting it again.Bonnie Lee Black

You're welcome. But, I didn't post it again, exactly ... that* happens automatically to any post that someone comments on.

* - The post is moved to the top of the list of posts and will appear (again) in the next daily newsletter.
  • Bonnie Lee Black
    Well, in that case I think I'll thank you every day I see it... :-)
  • Glenn Wilson
    Although, I can turn that off for individual posts ... :smile:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.