• Glenn Wilson
    uvre5fz3ni95lr29.jpeg

Don Day wrote: I spent my holidays on the Yucatan Peninsula and, as on all of my travels, food was a focus. There was one regional specialty though that might come as a surprise to you. It’s a locally celebrated cheese called queso de bola, a cheese that you might better know as Edam.

Edam, you may be thinking, isn’t that a Dutch cheese? How did that become a specialty of the east coast of Mexico? I’ll share my favorite tale about how it all came about:

It was around the end of the 17th Century, a time when European nations were busy conquering…sorry, colonizing…the new world. It often took many months to cross the Atlantic and, because Edam cheese had the ability to never spoil during the journey, it was an important way to keep the crew happy and healthy on the Dutch ships that sailed the ocean. ...

Continue at Don Day in SMA: Having a ball on the Riviera Maya. More #DonDay.

More Blogs from News Wire Mexico.

More in the SMAFAQ category Restaurants.

More in the SMAFAQ category Cooking.

bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.