• Glenn Wilson
    The Good, the bad and the ugly.

Please tell us what you thought went well, problems, and suggestions for things being better. Some things we may be able to do better next time.

If you encountered errors or problems please describe what you did and what happened.

I heard some people encountered a Not Found/404 error. If you did, it would help to tell us how you got that -- did you click on a link? where was the link? what was the link, if you know?
  • sue mathias
    Thanks for putting this all together. Very generous of the anonymous donor...and you and your time. Feedback: Some told me they couldn't get past the confirmation email. They got the following message: "We could not confirm your email. Check the confirm link or try sending another confirmation email." Seems they couldn't get out of that loop. Still others couldn't find the voting buttons once registered.
  • Glenn Wilson
    (Copied from another discussion thread: https://www.smafaq.com/discussion/9/getting-started)
    Glenn - Thanks very much for this forum. I have not checked out the full range of information but the daily digest is helpful. I have one comment. The recent donation to SMA charities was much appreciated - I am on the board of two of those charities. I got several comments from people that getting votes recorded was hard to do. There might have been a better way to explain how people could weigh in. I heard from some that they could make a comment but then not figure out how to vote. Jonathan Brown
  • Glenn Wilson
    Copied from an email :
    Many people complained that it was not easy to
    • find the page (page not found), or,
    • find how to vote.
  • Glenn Wilson
    Some other feedback I received (paraphrased):
    I think it is great that you sponsored this contest, but, some feedback as requested.

• The steps that needed to be taken to enroll and then vote were way too complicated.
    • A number of people did not understand what to do; hated all the steps that had to be done and couldn’t tell if they voted or not.
    • Some people preferred not to use their last name on a public website but thought they had to.
    • There's an option to send a message to other members through your website. Some people prefer privacy and do not want that.
    • Why are there “likes” on the website?
  • Glenn Wilson
    Feedback from me:
    The Good:
    • We gave away 15,000 MXN pesos. Actually, 11,000 so far. I still need to get 4,000 to Lola Cortina / Santuario Felino Rey Ashoka. We have exchanged emails and it should happen soon. [Edit: Done. All of the funds are distributed.]
    • People were generally very positive about the charities. Only one post was deleted for an inappropriate remark about "another" charity in the voting discussion.
    • I was pleasantly surprised by how many people participated. Over 300 voters.
    • We avoided giving anyone the impression, so far as I know, that we were giving away $15,000 USD instead of MXN.
    • The website name was registered June 18, operational around June 23, open to the public June 30 and we finished this contest today July 19.
    The Bad:
    • Some people had trouble signing up and have still not fully registered so they can not vote and they can not post. (Email confirmation issues).
    • Some had difficulty voting (finding where to vote) or understooding what to do to vote and may not have voted.
    • Some received not found (404) errors meaning the web page they were trying to go to did not exist.
    The Ugly:
    • Privacy issues.
    • Whats up with the Likes?
    • The feedback for some was not sufficient feedback to know if their vote registered.
    • Difficulties with registration (email confirmation mainly) that people were able to work around.

We do want to improve the experience and I will introduce some ideas about that later. Soon. More feedback and suggestions for next time are welcome.
  • Glenn Wilson
    How to Register
    To help folks that have difficulty registering for the site I have created a post with an embedded video that walks through the process. That post is
    How to Register
    I intend another on How to Vote in a poll. The idea is that both of those will be accessible from the Post with the poll in future contests. I can not do much to change the process but I hope that explanation will help.

[Also, but not contest related, I'll probably do some others on creating a new discussion, adding an image to a post, adding YouTube to a post, etc.]

I think How to Register and the voting post (not yet created) will help people register if they read the post / watch the video. Anyone that sends people a link to the contest posts, in the future, might want to encourage them to view those if they have any questions or issues with the process.
  • Glenn Wilson
    Polls and Voting
    I have added a post with an embedded video that shows how Polls and Voting work.

Polls and Voting

Also, in the future, the post that contains the contest polls will be streamlined with less distracting information, no comments, discussion will be directed to a separate post for discussing that vote and contest. I can't really change the polling tool itself but we can explain things better and design the polling post better.
  • Lola Cortina
    Many people complained that "Server was not found" it seemed the web page was blocked.
    I went throu the process to register myself, vote and make a comment, so I wrote a detailed e mail saying where and how to do it, but anyway some people could register, but not vote, and others couldn't even went into the web page. I am glad you are improving things, so they will be easy next time. Thanks for organizing all these.
  • Glenn Wilson
    @Lola Cortina It would be helpful to know the specifics if people are not able to reach the site or are not able to access a specific page on the site. By specifics I mean what exact link were they using and what happened. There are several reasons these type of errors can occur.

• One possibility is a bad link. By "bad link" I mean one that points to the wrong (non-existent) web site or to a page that does not exist on the web site. Possibly the page existed on the web site at one time but was deleted or moved. If that is the case it would not work for anyone trying that exact same link. And, it would still be broken today.
    • It could be that the user's internet was not working when they tried to access the site.
    • Another possibility is some sort of general internet outage that prevents looking up the website's address or accessing the website.
    • Could be that someone is using a network (at work?) that blocks access to some external internet sites.
    • And, it could be some technical error with the web site itself.
    A couple of these possibilities we might be able to help with if we knew more.

A couple of troubleshooting methods:
    If a link was not working for them does it work for others?
    If it works for no one it sounds like a bad link.

If they can't reach the site can they reach Google and search for something?
    If yes, that eliminates a problem with their general internet access or the internet in general.

If those two do not explain the problem, sending me the link and what error they are getting may help.

I think the most likely source of "Server was not found" errors are a) mistyping the website address or clicking on a bad link, or, b) the user's internet not working at that moment. But, there are other possibilities.
  • Lola Cortina
    Well, I asked my friends and they said they tried the link at your page: discussion.......
    And I also told them to try: www.sanmiguelFAQ.com, and none of them worked Wednesday.
    Cheers,
    Lola
  • Glenn Wilson
    Ok, I understand at least part of what the issue was. The address for the website is www.smafaq.com and using www.sanmiguelFAQ.com will definitely not work.
  • Glenn Wilson
    Actually, www.sanmiguelfaq.com will work now. But, we may or may not keep that domain long term. www.smafaq.com is the permanent address and it is also shorter and easier to type.
  • Glenn Wilson
    (From above)
    • Some people preferred not to use their last name on a public website but thought they had to.
    • There's an option to send a message to other members through your website. Some people prefer privacy and do not want that.
    • Why are there “likes” on the website?

A new post with video makes it clear that people are not required to use their full or real names. See How to Register. If anyone that registered before today (July 27) wants to change their user name for this reason they can contact me before the end of August.

Direct messages or private messages can can be turned off site-wide. By default they also generate an email to you that you have a private message. That email can be turned off. See: Control Email from San Email FAQ. If anyone is receiving inappropriate or unwanted messages contact me or another moderator.

Likes are part of a positive reputation system and feeds the list of posts that show up under Trending.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse. Registration is required to post or vote in polls.