• Glenn Wilson
    We just received our first La Comer grocery delivery from an on-line order. Everything went smoothly. And, there was no delivery charge for the first order. You can also create an order that you want to pickup in the store but I have not tried that option.

Here is a rough narrative of what I did in case it is helpful. I used Chrome and translated the pages.

Using Chrome to translate web pages (optional) :

To get started, I went to the La Comer website: https://www.lacomer.com.mx/
    gvbjvdsentrrad75.png

Clicked on Enter near the top-right.
    mxccamv5fb4a5msk.png

Then clicked the Sign Up button to register.
    7eae7ow86fxj1d6p.png

Provided the required information.
    ystphv2mry8pc2i7.png

I have the La Comer Monedero Naranja card and I entered that optional card number which may have saved me a step or two later. Update 23 Mar 2020: I tried creating another (test) account without the card and it seemed to work fine with no additional steps. Just leave the field blank. I have not tried ordering with the test account but others report that it works fine without the card.

Once registered, I was able to start shopping. Search for items,
    5oikr1m5acs3d2dl.png

enter a quantity,
    xwycts6d23heevkm.png

and add to cart. Repeat. You can also browse by department. For some items, such as Fruits and Vegetables you can specify number of items or weight and add a note like "Para hoy" for your avocados.

Search seems to work on brand names and product type (in Spanish, even if you are translating the results to English). So, Quaker finds various Quaker brand products. Oatmeal found three "Irish Oatmeal" items and Avena found lots of oatmeal products. Quaker Oatmeal found nothing and Quaker avena found only Quaker Oatmeal products.

If you are wondering, I was able to buy beer and wine.

When you checkout you specify Home Delivery or Store Pickup. To check out for delivery I had to supply my address. They use a google address verification which worked well. I also entered as additional information the streets our casa is between. I think that is all saved for next time.

I wanted to keep it simple and ordered no produce; only packaged goods. Somewhere, in the check-out process I selected Do Not Call and Do not replace if an item is unavailable.
    n16kq6cdrq8kvfxn.png

I picked a delivery time window. Each delivery time window has an associated cost. For this first delivery they were all free. (In a subsequent test, i saw ranges of $36 pesos to $72 pesos; if I bought "enough" it was free.). I was checking out at about 1:15 pm. The first available delivery window was from 3 pm - 4 pm so I picked that. Other options were credit/debit card and cash. I picked the on-line card option then I used PayPal to pay.
    odnukeq7cuuoszis.png

The groceries were delivered by a young man in a personal auto at about 2:45. They also have an app which I have since downloaded but not used yet.

If you give it a try let us know how it goes.

Register or sign up for our daily email digest.
  • Ron Lenox
    Very helpful! Thank you for taking time to walk us through the process. I will give it a try.
  • Glenn Wilson
    I don't know if the prices charged are the same as if you are doing the shopping in the store. It would be useful if someone could make that comparison.
  • Tina
    I just used them today. Accurate delivery, on time, exactly what I expected. Thanks...
  • Glenn Wilson
    Thanks for letting us know.
  • Glenn Wilson
    Today we made our second order online. This time, when I went to pay I tried a different PayPal account. It would not go through on the La Comer side. This was a US based PayPal account, so, I thought I'd try the one I used before which is Mexico based.

But the website had hung. So I closed that tab, then came back in and went to my cart. The items were all still there and I tried checking out again with the Mexico PayPal. That also did not work and the site hung again. I closed the tab and then came back in and tried checking out again. This time I tried a (US) credit card online. That did not work.

I closed the tab and tried again and this time said I would pay upon delivery. That worked. I guess their online payment system was out of order.

Anyway, the groceries showed up in the specified time window and I was able to use the (US) credit card to pay the driver. Success! I did give him a cash tip.

Update Jan 27, 2020: They have started charging a delivery fee lately for our orders ranging from about 60 - 90 pesos. Paying via a US Paypal account has been working great.
  • Glenn Wilson
    If you are trying to avoid crowds, you might want to consider La Comer delivered.
  • Suzanna Ally
    Thank you so much for sharing this! How do I get the La Comer Monedero Naranja card?
    Again thanks!
  • Glenn Wilson
    I signed up for it at the service desk at La Comer. I needed some ID, I think I used my Mexican DL.
  • Suzanna Ally
    Glenn, thanks. I dont have a Mexican ID as I am still tourist status. Do you think a rental contract showing my address would do?
  • Glenn Wilson
    Sorry. I don't know. Maybe someone else can chime in, or, if you try it, please let us know if it works.
  • Vanessa Drand
    I used my US passport as ID to get the Monedera Naranja card.
  • Betz
    Thank you so much, Glenn, for providing exact details as to how to do this! We are hunkered down at home to avoid infection and this will be needed at some point.
  • Barb Johnson
    Thank you so much for the screen shots and details of the process! This will make life easier!
  • Suzanna Ally
    OK thanks to everyone for help. I went to La Comer to the Service Desk and requested a Monedero Naranja card. They asked for an ID and I gave them my Ohio drivers license. I had to wait while they conferred with other workers, took my drivers license to another place as I waited in line, came back, gave me back my drivers license, conferred with another employee behind the desk, typed my San Miguel address in on the computer, conferred again, and finally I was awarded my Monedero Naranja. I have never felt so accomplished and honored in my life! Viva Mexico!
  • Lyn Knox
    Glenn and all thank you for the tips. I registered online and ordered but the function where you pay online with a credit card kept taking me out of the website on finalization step instead of generating confirming email. After several attempts with same result I finally followed Glenn's tips about saying you will pay driver at the door; I chose Visa card. My delivery schedule is tomorrow Saturday between 12-1. Fingers crossed.
  • Glenn Wilson
    We placed an order yesterday, Friday, and selected a delivery time of 1-2 pm which was the earliest time available. There was a notice later on the website that due to a high volume of online orders there might be delivery delays. Our order arrived about 3:30.
  • Lyn Knox
    NEED ADVICE ABOUT ITEMS NOT INCLUDED. Received 1st order earlier today in the delivery time specified and paid delivery man with credit card. It was 1 large box filled to the brim. However included 25 of the 44 items ordered. The receipt showed the 25 items and the receipt amount was half of what full order would have cost. None of the refrigerated and frozen foods were included. Only 1 of many cleaning products was included.
    I just logged into my account and the items not delivered are not listed anywhere in my account.
    Not as "out of stock" or moved to an undeliverable list, and have been removed from my "order" list.
    So for you who have had far less than your order delivered before, do you think they are really out of half of what I ordered, or they've stopped delivering refrigerated and frozen food during this surge of delivery services , or a delivery consists of 1 large box till full, etc? It may be because it was the first order with no delivery fee (I did tip 100 pesos but the store had no way of knowing I would tip generously). Should I place a second smaller order of just the items not included?
    Either way I am glad to have our almost bare pantry replenished and glad this service is available.
  • Glenn Wilson
    I thought I had talked about this in an earlier comment but I don't see it, so, I guess not.

I now often check the "Send a similar one" (if there is no product) option and usually get all or most of what I ordered, possibly with a substitution. i don't do that if I am ordering wine -- I'm not sure if/how they might substitute.

When I don't get something I suspect it is because the item is not in stock. I once went to the store right after ordering and confirmed that. But, the shoppers could make mistakes. And, I think they are running at a very high volume of online orders right now.

I also continue to order an item I wanted until it eventually shows up in the order. If something proves hard to get and is not perishable I order extra. I do the same thing when shopping in the store (pick up an extra of items that are sometimes not available).

If you are comfortable talking with them you could select the Yes, I want to receive a consultation call, which might be the most reliable approach. I have never tried that.
  • Lyn Knox
    Thank you Glenn. I am in the procesd now of reordering the items that did not come. It also occurs to me that though there was no limit stated on the first order with free delivery, that maybe 1 box limit was assumed. I'll post again after 2nd delivery. Thank you again.
  • Glenn Wilson
    I received two boxes yesterday. But, in these times, things can change ...
  • Glenn Wilson
    Above, where I said "I also continue to order an item I wanted until it eventually shows up in the order." I mean that in my next weekly order, I order it again.
  • Lyn Knox
    Today my 2nd order was delivered (a reorder of items not included in my first order delivered yesterday). Today's delivery included 10 of the 22 items reordered. Most my refrigerated and frozen items came (yeah). I had not clicked the permission for them to substitute similar items if out and I think I would have received more items if I had (Glenn I should have followed your advice on that). The 12 items not included in my 1st and 2nd order, I assume are probably out of right now. So that's not bad, given grocery store shortages worldwide, of the total 44 specific items I ordered the past two days 32 arrived (77%). Will definitely continue to use this service. Thank you Glenn.
  • Glenn Wilson
    This post has been viewed over 1500 times since first posted in Sept, 2019, many of those recently, and it has helped a lot of people use La Comer delivery. That's the good news.

The bad news is I used to be able to order at 7am and get delivery between 9 and 10 am the same day. I just ordered at about 7:30 pm and the first open delivery slot was 1-2pm tomorrow.

Also, I tried to order four boxes of Kleenex and two packages of toilet paper, among other things. That exceeded the limit of items for that department. I had to sacrifice a box of Kleenex to get two packages of TP. I've never encountered limits before.

Perhaps that virus has something to do with all that as well?

Update: 26 Mar 2:24 pm. The order arrived. On time or close to on time. Got everything except for the TP. We have adequate backup. Maybe next time? Update to the update. Ordered and received TP on the next order.
  • Lyn Knox
    Third order arrived today. Got all but 6 items, primarily things like hand sanitizer gel, Lysol Spray Professional, etc understandably out of stock. I did allow them to choose similar substitutes for out of stock items, which really only impacted 1 item and the substitute was the same brand. Placed order yesterday afternoon and picked noon today for delivery even though they had some evening delivery options last night. Received the exact toilet paper requested, one 12 pack.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.