• Glenn Wilson
    Update: SMA has now issued a Covid alert. See: SMA News and Coronavirus Update July 23, 2021.

Hi Glenn,

I don't wish to be an alarmist, but I'm very cautious and I still got covid just before leaving San Miguel on Wednesday. Is the Delta variant there now?

One of my San Miguel friends suggested it might be wise to post something on a San Miguel page. ... Feel free to discretely share the information on the SMAFAQ page if you wish.

This this isn't over, and it's serious.

Take care,
    ~~~~~
    I received the above via email this week with the subject line Covid alert from a fully vaccinated U.S. citizen that lives part time in SMA.

Also see:
    The Actual Number of Covid-19 Cases in SMA.
    The Delta Variant and the Covid Third Wave in GTO.

Comments? Questions? Leave a comment below or email me at .

More in the category News and Views.

• Jane Dill
    Question: WAS THIS PERSON VACCINATED?? "very cautious" doesn't cut it anymore . . .

JD
  • Glenn Wilson
    Fully vaccinated. I don't know his definition of "very cautious" or other details.

With Delta spreading rapidly around the world many people are expected to get it that would not have caught the original because it is so much more transmissible. Did he encounter the Delta variant? We don't know that either.
  • Glenn Wilson
    He has sent me a few more details.

He was fully vaccinated with Pfizer earlier in the year in the states. According to his wife "we wore masks in San Miguel and when we were outside, we were much more lenient about masks and distancing. I must say that I have made an abrupt change in my thinking now! ... And, I think we all must get very serious about masking and distancing again."

He was tested for Covid on Tuesday because he was flying back to the states on Thursday and the test was negative. He started thinking he might have a cold on Tuesday afternoon (the day of the Covid test). He "knew" it was not Covid because he was fully vaccinated and had just had a negative test. He and his wife have since notified people they were around in this timeframe.

Back in the states he was having headaches, fever (as high as 103.5) and fatigue and went to the Urgent Care. They tested him for Covid and it was positive. They are now both isolating and quarantining at home for 10 days.
  • Glenn Wilson
    Update: The city has now officially issued a Covid alert. See: SMA News and Coronavirus Update July 23, 2021.
  • athea marcos amir
    Dr. Fauci and many other experts have talked about this over and over -- yes, it is POSSIBLE to contract Covid 19 even if you are fully vaccinated, But the operative word here is POSSIBLE, not PROBABLE. I remember when some L.A. disk jockey said that "The California Lottery is your punishment for being bad at math." It's also possible that you might be struck by lightening at the same moment you're hit by a Mack truck, but, as in horse racing or a crap shoot, we're looking at odds here. Athea
  • Glenn Wilson
    Maybe. Some of the vaccine protection seems to wane over time.

The infected person discussed in this post received his second Pfizer dose in February. According to new data out of Israel, someone that received their second dose of Pfizer in February has about 44% vaccine efficacy against a SARS-CoV-2 Infection or a Symptomatic COVID-19 case (and only 16% if it was received in January). They still have a 91% vaccine efficacy against COVID-19 hospitalization or Severe COVID-19.
    36ld8h9askddqhhv.png
    Source.
    (This is new data and may not have been rigorously reviewed yet.)

Other data seems to indicate greater protection against infection, but, does not segregate the data (so far as I can tell) into time intervals based on how long ago the vaccine was received.

... to estimate the effectiveness of vaccination against symptomatic disease ... Effectiveness after one dose of vaccine (BNT162b2 or ChAdOx1 nCoV-19) was notably lower among persons with the delta variant (30.7%; 95% confidence interval [CI], 25.2 to 35.7) than among those with the alpha variant (48.7%; 95% CI, 45.5 to 51.7); the results were similar for both vaccines. With the BNT162b2 vaccine, the effectiveness of two doses was 93.7% (95% CI, 91.6 to 95.3) among persons with the alpha variant and 88.0% (95% CI, 85.3 to 90.1) among those with the delta variant. With the ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccine, the effectiveness of two doses was 74.5% (95% CI, 68.4 to 79.4) among persons with the alpha variant and 67.0% (95% CI, 61.3 to 71.8) among those with the delta variant.
    Effectiveness of Covid-19 Vaccines against the B.1.617.2 (Delta) Variant
    Note that BNT162b2 is Pfizer and ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 is AstraZeneca.

How effective are coronavirus vaccines against the Delta variant?
    https%3A%2F%2Fd6c748xw2pzm8.cloudfront.net%2Fprod%2F2f2b4650-e09b-11eb-ba08-b797b1293d98-fullwidth.png?dpr=2&fit=scale-down&quality=medium&source=next&width=1260
    Real-world studies show Pfizer and AstraZeneca still offer strong protection against severe disease.
    How effective are coronavirus vaccines against the Delta variant?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.