• Glenn Wilson
    Today, Don Day introduces us to the Cherimoya!

Don Day: Oh, my goodness. Cherimoyas.
    “If I were asked which would be the best fruit, I would choose without hesitation, cherimoya. Its taste, indeed, surpasses that of every other fruit.”

There were two reasons I had to write about cherimoyas.

I had been reading this book Life In Mexico, a diary written by a Scottish woman way back in 1831 (that’s a quote from her that I started out with) and I was fascinated by how often cherimoyas came up in her diet.

Then, my friend Richard Smerdon forwarded a BBC piece on The 100 Most Nutricious Foods. There at number two were cherimoyas. Cherimoyas, those big ugly green things I see in the market. The second most nutricious food in the world. I had to have some. And soon.
    Read more at Don Day: Oh, my goodness. Cherimoyas.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    The flavor is best described as a blend of pineapple and pear. Some also say they taste notes of mango, strawberries and lemon.
    How to Eat Cherimoya – A Photographic Guide
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    The cherimoya (Annona cherimola), also spelled chirimoya and called chirimuya by the Inca people, is an edible fruit-bearing species of the genus Annona from the family Annonaceae. It is generally thought to be native to Colombia, Ecuador, Peru , Bolivia and Chile, spreading through cultivation to the Andes and Central America. Cherimoya is grown in tropical regions throughout the world. It is in the same genus, Annona, as soursop.

Mark Twain called the cherimoya "the most delicious fruit known to men". The creamy texture of the flesh gives the fruit its secondary name, custard apple.
    Wikipedia: Cherimoya.

More in the category Cooking.

Register or sign up for our daily email digest.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.