• Glenn Wilson
    7ottshe8s7wjx95e.jpeg

Don Day wrote: I’m from north of the 49th parallel, from the country that eats more lobster, per capita, than any other country in the world. The lobster we Canadians eat comes from cold waters. It has powerful claws not floppy Martian-like antennae and, until a few years ago, I was under the impression that it was the only lobster in the world. I was a full-blown, out-an-out, absolute lobster snob.

It wasn’t that I hadn’t tried those warm water lobsters, those rock or spiny lobsters as they’re commonly known. They were irresistible when I was on holiday in the Caribbean. But those pangs were enhanced by the demon rum and the absence-makes-the-heart-grow-fonder magnet when I was away from my cold-water-with-claws lobsters.

Then one day, about eight years ago, in a town called San Miguel de Allende, I got totally turned around. A new restaurant opened up called Mario’s Mariscos Frescos and unlike most of the local restaurants with the word mariscos in their name, this one didn’t specialize in previously frozen shrimp cocktails and battered tilapia tacos. Mario’s featured very fresh oysters, scallops, red snapper and rock lobster. ...

Continue at Don Day in SMA: Still lovin’ the lobster. But there was something missing from Mario’s. More #DonDay.

Mario’s Mariscos Frescos Estilo Mazatlan is located at Salida a Celaya #83A in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. The restaurant is open from 11:00 am to 8:00 pm, seven days a week.

More Blogs from News Wire Mexico.

More in the SMAFAQ category Restaurants.

More in the SMAFAQ category Cooking.

bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.