• Glenn Wilson
    Tomatillo Salsa Verde, is a delicious Mexican green salsa made with roasted tomatillos, chile peppers, lime juice, cilantro, and onion. Today we highlight several ways to make it including Don Day's favorite salsa verde recipe. We also have Avocado-Tomatillo Salsa Verde and green salsa guacamole style without avocado.

Tomatillo Salsa Verde
    As a kid I always thought that green salsa was made from green tomatoes, but actually it is made with a distant relative of a tomato from Mexico, the naturally tart tomatillo (pronounced “toe-mah-TEE-yo”). A tomatillo looks like a little green tomato covered with a husk, and is more closely related to gooseberry than it is to tomato.

Salsa verde is really easy to make from scratch, all you need are tomatillos, onion, jalapeño, lime, and cilantro.

To make the salsa verde, you will need to cook the tomatillos, which you can do by either boiling them, broiling them in the oven, or pan roasting them. All three approaches are quick and easy, though with broiling or pan roasting, you get added flavor from the searing of the tomatillos.
    Simply Recipes Tomatillo Salsa Verde.

I’m embarrassed to dance the salsa. But I can make it.
    Don Day doesn’t dance, unless he’s had a few drinks. Don Day doesn’t cook, no matter how many drinks he’s had. Because Don Day’s Wife doesn’t allow him to cook. In fact, Don Day is staunchly discouraged from ever entering the kitchen. Well that is until there are dishes…and especially when those dishes are covered with dried egg yolk.

So Don Day in SMA rarely shares recipes and, if I do, they are almost always Don Day’s Wife’s recipes. Or, most often, her tweaking of other chefs’ recipes.

But the focus of today’s blog post is a recipe. A recipe for something that, after the tortilla, may be the absolute most consumed item in Mexican restaurants and in Mexican homes. And it’s my recipe or, at least, my adaptation of a few other much more talented people’s recipes.

Continue reading at Don Day: I’m embarrassed to dance the salsa. But I can make it.
    While you're there, to get the latest food, wine and restaurant info from Don Day, subscribe to his blog!

Mexican Salsa Verde - Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

Your salsa will be delicious, fresh and so much better than the salty jarred varieties. I can guarantee that much. That’s the beauty of simple recipes made with fresh, natural ingredients—they’re inevitably awesome. ...

Tomatillos look like small green tomatoes with husks, but they aren’t tomatoes—they’re cousins. I’ve had an easy time finding them at grocery stores lately. I tried making this salsa with raw tomatillos, but they’re borderline sour. Roasting them really brings out their best side.

Some roasted tomatillo salsas I’ve tried taste too roasted or smoky, but not this one. You can also control just how roasted those tomatillos get when you roast them yourself. I think it turned out just right with the times specified in the recipe below.
    Cookie and Kate Homemade Salsa Verde.

Avocado-Tomatillo Salsa Verde
    Scoop avocado flesh into a blender and add lettuce, chile, onion, garlic, tomatillos, and cilantro and blend until smooth; season with salt.
    bon appetít Avocado-Tomatillo Salsa Verde.

Faux Avocado Salsa | Creamy Green Salsa | Falso Guacamole Salsa
    Has it happened to you that you go to a taqueria and one of the richest sauces they have is an intense green with creamy texture and flavored with guacamole?

The other day I went to a taquería and when the waiter asked, if everything was fine? I told him that avocado sauce was my favorite. The waiter looked surprised and told me, the sauce does not have an avocado although it has the flavor, the texture and the color.
    Green salsa guacamole style WITHOUT avocado, taqueria trick!

More in the category Cooking.

Register or sign up for our daily email digest.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.