• Glenn Wilson
    Steve: Dora was at the house performing her cleaning miracles. I had asked her to take a look at the cleaning supplies I had just bought at Sam's Club to see if we needed anything else for the house. We always do.

She inventoried the stash and said that we needed "liqua de agua." At least, that is what I thought she said. It could have been "lika de agua." I asked her to repeat the phrase. When I showed no recognition, she explained it was to clean the bathroom. She pointed at a bottle of toilet cleaner and recommended a specific shop in San Patricio.

So, off I went, The proprietress of the shop looked just as bewildered as I had when I told her what I wanted. She speaks Spanish and English, and we exhausted our mutual vocabularies until we decided what I needed was a bottle of Ajax cleanser.

Well, that was not what Dora needed. She went to the bodega and returned with what looked like a small piece of black construction paper.

mexpatriate -- in the key of steve sanding my consonants. More #mexpatriate.

More in the category Art, Literature, Museums, Music, and Theaters.

Register or sign up for our daily email digest.
  • patricia singer
    :-) She wanted lija de aqua or sandpaper. The black, fine version works underwater and is used to remove sarro or the white, lime (?) build up we get in our toilets or tubs . . .
  • Vanessa Drand

Do not use those sanding blocks! My limpieza did and it took the enamel off the toilet bowl. Bodily waste now sticks to the bowl and I have to buy a new toilet.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.