• Don Bell
    My investigation seems to suggest that one can probably obtain Covid19 vaccination in the US, specifically TX, depending on one's category. I am in category 1B. It would be easier to be vaccinated here in SMA, but in order to decide between options it would be helpful if I knew what are the options for vaccinations here rather than there. Any actual information re SMA would be appreciated.
  • Glenn Wilson

My understanding is that vaccines in Mexico will be universal and free:
    Federal government guarantees application will be universal and free throughout the country.

The vaccine against COVID-19 will not be for sale in our country, only the Government of Mexico will be able to acquire, distribute and apply it universally and free of charge for the entire population, assured the Undersecretary of Prevention and Health Promotion, Hugo López- Gatell Ramírez, during the daily press conference to report on the situation of the pandemic.

He reiterated that to achieve this purpose, Mexico participates in the multilateral Covax mechanism of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) to have the possibility of acquiring 51 million enough vaccines for 20 percent of the population.In addition, there are contracts with AstraZeneca for 71.2 million doses;with Pfizer for 34.4 million and CanSino for up to 35 million.A contract with Janssen for 22 million doses is in the process of analysis and formalization.

The vaccine against COVID-19 will be free from the first to the last phase of application, "no one in the private sector can sell it, it would be a fraud if someone wants to collect it," he stressed.

https://www.gob.mx/salud/prensa/258-la-vacuna-contra-covid-19-no-estara-a-la-venta-en-mexico
    December 18, 2020
    (Google translation).

The planned schedule, after stage 1 intended for certain front-line healthcare workers, is:
    In stage 2 of the vaccination plan, which will run from February to April, the government intends to immunize non-frontline health workers and people aged over 60, starting with those 80 or older. Immunization of people aged 50-59 will occur in stage 3 in April and May while those between 40 and 49 are to be vaccinated against Covid-19 in stage 4 next May and June.

In stage 5, the rest of the population will be immunized between June 2021 and March 2022.
    https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/5-stage-national-covid-vaccination-plan/

Barring surprises, I expect that many of the vaccinations given in Mexico will be the AstraZeneca/Oxford University vaccine due to easier logistics, lower cost and Mexico has an agreement to acquire 70+ million of those.

I'm not currently aware of any specific plan/schedule information for GTO or SMA for Stage 2 or beyond.

I would not be surprised if the vaccinations take longer than the current schedule.

Update Jan 4 2021: Adding link to the PDF on the coronavirus gob mx website: https://coronavirus.gob.mx/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/PolVx_COVID.pdf
    (It is also an attachment to this comment).
    Attachment
    PolVx_COVID (621K)
  • Glenn Wilson
    I have been asked elsewhere about getting vaccinated in Texas so here are a few notes I gathered.

Requirements for category 1B (which is currently eligible in Texas):
    3pwahgzm9mqmpp0l.jpeg
    Texas COVID-19 Vaccine Information.

yz98fc4941s17sgr.png
    4x2erf6bbqyzn6rt.png
    Interactive Map of Texas Covid Vaccination Providers.

I'm not encouraging anyone to travel to Texas to get the vaccination. The travel itself entails certain risks and costs.

I would hate to travel somewhere and find out that for some unanticipated reason I could not get the vaccine. Also remember, you probably need two shots several weeks apart. But, if you are going to be there anyway ...
  • Patrice Wynne
    Excellent response, Glenn. Greatly appreciated.
  • Bob Broughton
    I could handle two 11-hour bus rides on ETN from San Luis Potosí to Reynosa, followed by the 18 km. taxi ride to McAllen. If anybody here phones one of the McAllen clinics to get specific information about availability, please post what you find out here.
  • Glenn Wilson
    Just FYI, from what I've heard, you'll want to make sure that you have an appointment and not just that they have some available. If anyone does go, please update us.
  • Betz
    My research today indicates that the HEB pharmacies in Laredo are providing vaccines, but they do not have any currently. They are awaiting a new shipment. They also indicate no one will get a vaccine without an appointment. Go to www.HEB.com for updates and additional information.
  • Dagmar Bischoff Garfinkel
    Does anyone know yet how and when those of us expats, 70+ years old with Residente Temporal status will be able to be scheduled for the covid vaccine here in SMA or in QRO? Do we have to be scheduled through a doctor? Will clinics like the La Lejona one, where we got our shots, be administering the covid vaccines?
  • Glenn Wilson
    To the best of my knowledge official information has not yet been disseminated. When it is available SMAFAQ will publish it.
  • Glenn Wilson
    More information here, but thin on details:

López Obrador said that seniors will be given advance notice of when they will be given their Covid-19 vaccination shots. He estimated that 50 of every 300 seniors will have to be given their shot (or shots) at their homes rather than community centers due to mobility issues.

Each of the 10,000 brigades will be tasked with administering 300 vaccinations per week. If they achieve that goal, 3 million shots will be given every week, meaning that 12 million people could receive at least one dose of a vaccine in the space of a month. ...

Given that the brigades intend to vaccinate people in isolated communities as well as cities and towns, it would appear likely that the AstraZeneca/Oxford University vaccine will be used. That vaccine – of which the government intends to buy 77.4 million doses – is cheaper than that made by Pfizer and can be transported and stored at regular fridge temperatures. It was approved by the health regulatory agency Cofepris on Monday and Deputy Health Minister Hugo López-Gatell said that immunization could begin in March.
    10,000 vaccination brigades to inoculate 12 million seniors by end of March.
  • Bob Broughton
    Ah, H-E-B. The one in McAllen has a Facebook page, includes a phone #. It says there: "The COVID-19 Vaccine is currently not available to the general public, but H-E-B's pharmacies are planning for when it is."
    https://www.facebook.com/HEBMcAllenTX4/
  • Glenn Wilson
    "... Mexico will apply the coronavirus vaccine to foreigners residing in the country for free. For this reason, the Federal Government will seek international reciprocity so that Mexicans abroad can be vaccinated wherever they are."
    Covid-19: Health will vaccinate foreigners residing in Mexico for free (sp) | English.

• Glenn Wilson
    Guanajuato prepared to start vaccination against the coronavirus this Wednesday.
    vacuna
    The Guanajuato Health Secretariat is ready to begin this Wednesday the vaccination against SARS-CoV-2 of 22 thousand 425 professionals from the Guanajuato health sector.

Guanajuato requires at least 4 million doses to be in a position to achieve herd immunity.

Health Secretary Daniel Díaz Martínez remarked that, although vaccination against the coronavirus begins, it could take up to 18 months to reach over 70% of the immunized Guanajuato population, which is why it is necessary for the population to continue with the measures of hygiene, such as the use of face masks, healthy distance, frequent hand washing, etiquette sneezing and of course staying in case it is not essential to go out.
    El Sol de Bajio (sp) | English.

On Wednesday, vaccination of health personnel begins in Guanajuato.
    fb_img_1610399568684.jpg
    In Guanajuato, each vaccine will be applied based on the CURP of each person to be vaccinated, to keep a better control of its application and generate greater transparency. ...

Once the health personnel of Guanajuato have been vaccinated, the open population will be vaccinated, starting with those over 80, 70, 60, years old and people with risk factors, for now, those under 16 and pregnant women will be excluded.
    Noticias Con Valor (sp) | English.
    See also: Locating and Printing Your Mexican CURP.
  • Sophie de Vries
    Glenn, I am 74 years old, live in SMA, and am on a tourist visa. Will I be able to get vaccinated?
  • Glenn Wilson
    I have not seen that explicitly spelled out. But what I have seen suggests that a CURP number is required. Only citizens, permanent residents and temporary residents have CURP numbers.
  • Sophie de Vries
    So what do you suggest at this point?
  • Glenn Wilson
    I would keep researching options here and elsewhere. If you have the option to get a vaccination somewhere else I would explore that. I would not buy a vaccine here -- they are only available from the government and free. Any available for sale may be fake or spoiled.

In the meantime stay safe. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

Update: It is now technically possible for state governments and private enterprises to obtain vaccinations it seems unlikely that will happen for months, if at all.
  • Glenn Wilson
    I should add (copied from above):
    My understanding is that vaccines in Mexico will be universal and free:
    Federal government guarantees application will be universal and free throughout the country.
    The question is, what is meant by "universal?"
  • Glenn Wilson
    Some updates:

President López Obrador said Monday he had spoken to Vladimir Putin and thanked him for agreeing to supply Russia's Sputnik V vaccine.
    Mexico News Daily
    NY Times: How Gamaleya’s Vaccine (Sputnik V) Works.

Hugo López-Gatell said at the press conference to announce progress on the situation in the country regarding Covid-19, that the acquisition of the vaccine for states and private parties will be possible in a few months, when it no longer represents a competition for the federal government ...

"This attachment should be based on the prioritization of the groups that have been defined so far in the stages that have been made known. When they can have access to the supply of this vaccine, most likely we will be in one of the following stages, in 2 or 3, but the idea is that they maintain respect or adherence to national policy, "explained the general director of Epidemiology, José Luis Alomía Zegarra.
    Companies and states that purchase vaccines must adhere to the official calendar. (sp) | English.

Tonight, the National Action Governors Association (GOAN) reported that commercial representatives of AstraZeneca and Pfizer have told them that there is no availability in production and that the possible supply to which they aspire would be given from December of this year or the next.
    AstraZeneca and Pfizer Vaccine Availability for PI and State Governments, not until December. (sp) | English.

If the Internet offers you the vaccine against COVID-19, do not fall for the trap: they are scammers. (sp) | English.
  • Glenn Wilson
    US Embassy: COVID-19 Information for U.S. Citizens in Mexico
  • David Fischer
    I am a permanent resident of Mexico and living in SMA since 2004.
    I am also a former resident of Texas and just received my first Covid vaccine there. Since we are fortunate enough to have a daughter living in Texas, we use her address for all Texas- related matters such as registering for the Covid vaccines. When registering I had to show my Texas driver's license with a Texas address which attested also to my age and eligibility. To just drive up and hope to crash the line will at present be unworkable. The demand is just too great by locals for the limited supples available each week. Once local demand is satisfied and more reliable supplies are available then non-Texans may be able to get vaccinated. One problem is the four week gap between shots: where does one stay in the interim? We have a daughter with an extra bedroom, but to live in a motel for four weeks would be prohibitive. I hope this note helps!
  • Glenn Wilson
    Thanks.

I have seen that Florida requires residency for a Covid vaccination but I have not seen the same for Texas. I am not saying it is not the case but I have not seen anything online documenting that after a small bit of googling.

Proof of residency not required for people to get Covid shots in El Paso, elsewhere in Texas (Jan 8 KVIA El Paso ABC outlet).

On the other hand, this does say "Texans" ...
    but I don't think that is meant as a legal limitation.
    9bekekpuxdm93ro9.png
    Texas Dept of State Health Services

Even if it is not the case today, it would not surprise me if it became the rule in Texas and more states over time while supplies are scarce.
  • David Fischer
    Texas runs through its local governments for Covid distribution; little state-wide guidance is made available other than the creation of 1A and 1B classes so far. Thus, a local town may be freer in requiring Texas residency than another one. My experience is limited to San Antonio and environs where a Texas driver's license is required at present.
    Also, an appointment is required; no walk-ins allowed which I saw being enforced.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.