• Glenn Wilson
    Bonnie Lee Black wrote: For a long time he was my favorite living American writer. You might say I idolized him. I read William Styron’s books worshipfully, knowing full well I could never emulate his writing. He belonged to a too-lofty pantheon, way beyond my reach.

I clearly remember reading Styron’s 562-page novel Sophie’s Choice in one weekend when it came out in 1979. I was living in New York at the time, in a studio apartment on Riverside Drive, working on my own first book for Viking Press, Somewhere Child. I remember doing nothing else that weekend — hardly budging from my reading chair to eat or sleep or shower or dress – physically immobilized yet emotionally and spiritually swept away by Styron’s wrenching story and his transcendent words.

I remember falling in love with William Styron that weekend. Not in a romantic sense but in a kind of misty adoration. I’d always been an avid reader of good books; but this book, in that moment, when I was struggling to write the story of my missing daughter, spoke to me like no other book ever had. I resolved to send a copy of Somewhere Child to Styron as a thank-you gift, as soon as it was published.

So I did. ...

Continue at The WOW Factor: Revisiting Styron. More #WOWFactor.

More Blogs from News Wire Mexico.

bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.