• Glenn Wilson
    To live or visit San Miguel de Allende, and Mexico in general, you need the appropriate legal documentation.

    ​​​​​​​There are several types of visas available for those wishing to reside in Mexico. Here are a few.
    FMM Tourist Card (Forma Migratoria Multiple) allows one to enter Mexico, one time, for up to 180 days.
    Temporary Resident Visa (TR) is for those who intend to be in Mexico more than 6 months and up to 4 years.
    Permanent Resident Visa (PR) is for those who plan to live in Mexico permanently.
    Sonia Diaz

    We are Permanent Residents which allows us to live here full time with no requirement to exit or renew. Of course, we are allowed to exit. Permanent Resident status does not mean you must live here.

    For us, the process started in the U.S. in San Francisco. We used the Mexico Consulate in San Francisco and arrived in the morning, completed the process in an hour or so and were able to pick up our visas later that same day. I understand some Consulates are easier to work with than others.

    After arriving in San Miguel we engaged Sonia Diaz to help with completing the process. She makes it very easy and walked us through the steps. Her website goes into much more detail. We highly recommend Sonia.

    More in the category Finance and Legal.

    Register or sign up for our daily email digest.
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.