• Glenn Wilson
    July 8, 2019:
    • American children are moving to Mexico in record numbers,
    • Odd/Unexpected/Weird Santander ATM experience,
    • Three Dead and Two Injured in Last Night’s [July 6] Shooting,
    • Efforts to protect 380 thousand Golf Turtle Eggs,
    • Plant-based meat is about to get Cheaper than animal Flesh.

American children are moving to Mexico in record numbers
    While most of the current news are focused on Central American migrants making their way through Mexico to the U.S border, little attention has been paid to a different migration story: the number of American-born minors—all US citizens—who left the US to come to live in Mexico.

In Mexico, about 900,000 residents were born abroad as of 2015. Some of these are Central American migrants, but the large majority was born in the US and is under age 18.

In fact, between 2000 and 2015, the population of American minors living in Mexico more than doubled. By 2015, nearly half a million minors born in the US, were reported living south of the border fulltime.

American children are moving to Mexico in record numbers

Odd/Unexpected/Weird Santander ATM experience
    At the Luciérnaga Santander, I made a cash ATM withdrawal. I haven’t used Santander for weeks and encountered new behavior.

First, after accepting the ATM fee, the screen presented a lousy exchange rate: MX$18.01 compared with the Forex rate of MX$19.01. I selected the “No” option...

A second weird thing was that the ATM coughed up my cash AFTER I walked away. A nice lady ran after me and I was luckily able to recover the cash from a bank employee.

Odd/Unexpected/Weird Santander ATM experience

Three Dead and Two Injured in Last Night’s Shooting
    During the shooting, four women eating tacos at a nearby taco stand were wounded; Elena Ugalde passed away immediately, three more women were transferred to hospitals. One of the women, Ximena Morales Huerta, died later at the hospital. The municipal government issued a letter of condolence for the families: “The municipal Administration condemns the regrettable events and reiterates its collaboration with the authorities to resolve these events. We reassure our commitment to build the social tranquility and peace that San Miguel aspires to”.
    Three Dead and Two Injured in Last Night’s Shooting

Sinaloa: Pesca Azteca and Estrella de Mar join efforts to protect 380 thousand Golf Turtle Eggs
    The attractive beach of the Estrella de Mar tourist complex, each year witnesses one of the most wonderful phenomena of nature: the spawning of the Olive Ridley Turtle. This event occurs with the first rains of the year and is replicated up to three times in the same season. As of the month of July, each female places between 100 and 200 eggs on the beach of Estrella de Mar.Sinaloa: Pesca Azteca and Estrella de Mar join efforts to protect 380 thousand Golf Turtle Eggs

Plant-based meat is about to get Cheaper than animal Flesh, report says
    “Industrial animal agriculture has been operating and optimizing at a global scale for decades. Yet it is still inherently more efficient to make meat directly from plants rather than feeding our crops to animals and then eating a part of the animal,” Specht said. “It’s all but inevitable that the plant-based meat industry will eventually be cost-competitive with conventional meat. In fact, this tipping point may hit relatively soon, given the recent flurry of activity reflecting new production capacity among the existing plant-based meat companies and the involvement of new entrants with massive resources.”
    Plant-based meat is about to get Cheaper than animal Flesh, report says

Google translations. News sites and Facebook pages are on our Links page.

More in the category News and Views.

Register or sign up for our daily email digest.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.