• Dagmar Bischoff Garfinkel
    Update (by @Glenn Wilson): See the comments for the happy ending.

White male with a bit of black on the head and a tabby tail. Escaped night of 7-6. He's my favorite cat. Calle Clavel #6. Reward. US cell 281-728-0789.
  • Lola Cortina
    Good morning Dagmar, have you posted in PET SOS SMA facebook page? it is for lost and found pets.
    And I suposse you have call him by his name. Call him all the time but specially early morning and late evening, when the human activity is lower or none. Good luck Lola
    Hi Lola, yes, I'm quite hoarse from calling him. Also went around to all the neighbors and alerted them. I'll go make flyers now and post them a bit farther from our house, although cats don't usually roam far from home. But we've only been in SMA for 2 months, and all of our cats are strictly inside. Mazzie escaped via the roof from where he can reach pretty well the whole block. I left out smelly canned food, and I even put his buddy cat in a carrier and left him on the roof overnight, hoping he'd call out to Mazzie too. Nothing so far. I'm trying to shut off my imagination about what all could happen to him...
    He's BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After he'd been gone for exactly 72 hours, we heard his distinct meow from the carpenter shop smack across this tiny street street (Calle Clavel in San Antonio; doesn't get much smaller). Mazzie is all in one piece, but quite dirty of course. The carpenter has several cats in his workshop, so there was food for him. I waited all night, and at 5 a.m. I heard him call from a very tall wall in the back of the place. I settled in with a towel to sit on and my knitting. Finally got him coaxed down that wall via pindly tree and brought him home. He can't get enough loving now. Meanwhile, somebody stole both my towel and my knitting...…….. They're welcome to it, we have Mazzie. Today we'll buy arms full of flowers for all the neighbors that we met in those last 72 hours, and who were so very supportive and kind.
  • Glenn Wilson
    That's great!
    So glad to hear it. Thanks for letting us know.
    You're not half as glad as I am! I was impressed by the outpouring of empathy coming from my neighbors. We're fairly new here and the only gringos on the block, but everybody seemed to know the pain of losing a beloved pet and tried to help and console us.
    I lived in Guatemala for 4 years, and things probably would have been different there, but then, people there are so much poorer than Mexicans. Nobody would have cared about a lost cat, let alone shown sympathy for a gringa. They had this 30-year, incredibly bloody and brutal war which ended in genocide for the Maya. That must have hardened all of their emotions.
    But there, too, sure as heck my towel and my knitting would have disappeared within 1/2 hour. Thieves are thieves all over the world.
  • Randy L Hummel
    So happy that you found Mazzie safe and sound. We live on the neighborhood and had been keeping an eye out for him. We have two rescue gatos that we have adopted from the SPA and would be heartbroken if one went missing. We have been agonizing along with you and are go glad that all ended well.
  • Lola Cortina
    Great Dagmar! I am very hppy he is back. Give Mazzie a hug from Santuario Felino's cats and me!
    Lola, do you need volunteers? I have loads of experience volunteering at shelters in Houston.
    Lola, my email address is
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.