• Glenn Wilson
    My personal dietary goal is to eat Whole-Food, Plant-Based, which is both vegan and whole foods.

Generally, food we prepare at home meets that goal but I am a little flexible when eating out. For example, I sometimes eat food that was cooked in oil or has oil in or on it even though oil is not a whole food (I avoid even olive oil). When I order salad it is always without dressing for that reason; but if it shows up dressed I'll probably eat it anyway. I can look past a little incidental meat with beans. I order food without the cheese when that is an option (enchiladas, pizza, veggie burgers, etc.). I'll often eat bread, at a restaurant, even if it is not vegan or whole food. So, at a restaurant, I usually aim for vegetarian or vegan options and maybe modify from there but work with what I can get.

A salad is often a vegan or vegetarian option. If it is the only option at a restaurant it may work for me, or not. If I'm not going to get the dressing (and I'm not) then if a salad consists solely of some lettuce, tomato and cucumber then it will probably have somewhere around 50 calories. Not much of a meal if that is the only choice. But, some salads have nuts, avocado, and/or fruit and are more substantial fare while still being vegan. Those are great.

I often provide vegetarian or vegan options on this website when describing restaurant food. These are usually based on descriptions from the menu, maybe inquiries of the staff and observation of the food. They are not meant as investigative journalism.

If there are obvious animal products involved I do not call something vegan. But, some animal products are not obvious. Also, menus and recipes can change over time.

If the distinction is important to you, do your own checking.

I recently learned that, according to a review on Happy Cow, about Sabroso Taquería "They use animal fat to cook the beans." If true about the beans in the black bean tacos, which were listed on the menu as "Tacos Vegetarianos", then they are neither vegetarian nor vegan.

If you follow some variety of meatless, vegetarian or vegan diet in Mexico, here are a few resources to help:

Happy Cow San Miguel de Allende

Happy Cow Mexico

Never Ending Voyage: Vegetarian Survival Guide to Mexico

Joy and Journey: How to Survive – and Thrive – as a Vegetarian in Mexico

Tales of a Backpacker: How to Survive as a Vegetarian in Mexico City

Ever in Transit: How To Find Vegetarian Food in Mexico

Well and Good: How to Eat Your Way Trough Mexico City—the Vegetarian Way

International Living: Living Meat-Free in Mexico

Update: For the sake of completeness, there are some non whole plant foods I routinely eat that I think are fine. Especially white rice. After learning about the Kempner Rice Diet it is hard to argue that white rice is generally unhealthy. Conversely there are some whole plant foods I wonder if I should avoid or use minimally, like avocado and walnuts, because of their high fat content.

More in the category Restaurants.

Register or sign up for our daily email digest.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.