• Glenn Wilson
    Can you simmer?

In case you don't know what I mean, I am referring to
    With simmering you'll see bubbles forming and gently rising to the surface of the water, but the water is not yet at a full rolling boil.theSpruceEats.com

Simmering: An All-Purpose Cooking Technique

And, it is easy to do:
    Once you know what to look for, you will have no problem mastering this technique.wikiHow.com

Except, here in San Miguel de Allende, I find it a challenge. Full rolling boil? Sure, no problem. But I can't turn the heat down low enough on our gas stove to get simmer. I have heard from some others that they have the same issue.

So, it's not just me, right? Is it our altitude? The gas itself? The stoves here? I can work around this by moving the pot around or turning the gas off then on then ... or by using cast iron racks to raise the pot further from the flame.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a better way?

Can you simmer?
  • GBrown
    We have the same problem and have blamed it on the Koblenz brand stove for not having a lower setting. Is there more to it???
  • Glenn Wilson
    Our stove is a Mabe brand. I wonder if there is a adjustment that can or should be made to the stove?
  • Bev Brinson
    We found a diffuser at the Tuesday market. It is a circle with a few holes that limits the amount of heat to the pot. An alternative is to fold aluminum foil to 4 layers and poke holes in the foil. Hope this helps!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse. Registration is required to post or vote in polls.