• Bob Broughton
    Is there anyone here who:
    - Receives Social Security, direct deposit
    - Did NOT file a 2019 tax return, and
    - has received the stimulus payment?
  • Gabrielle Brie
    Hi Bob,
    I did not file a 2019 Tax Return, have direct deposit of my social security checks and did receive my stimulus check. It came in the mail to the last address on the tax return from 2018. Good luck tracking down your money.
  • Judith Hightower
    Mine was sent to my accountant! The last address on my last years (2018) return rather than direct deposit as my Ss is deposited directly!
    Judith Hightower
  • Robin G Heller
    Hi Bob, I also have NOT filed taxes in years but do have direct deposit for SS each month. My stimulus check was deposited into my bank account a few weeks ago. All the best, Robin Heller
  • Don Bell
    Bob,

I had filed 2018 taxes, have my SS Direct Deposited into my US bank, had not (as yet) filed 2019 taxes. I went onto the IRS "Get my payment" website and was able after many tries to give them DD information. That has now resulted in DD into my US account. Not by the way the same account that DD receives my SS DD. I have now filed my 2019 taxes, but hadn't done so when my stimulus money was DD'd. Hope this is of some help. The website eventually told me exactly the day that the DD would and did happen.
  • gtodon
    Hi, Bob,

This isn't responsive to your question, but I think you will be interested to know the following: I haven't received the stimulus payment, and odds are that I never will, because as the IRS rules currently stand, I'm not qualified. The reason I'm not qualified is that I'm married to a non-U.S. citizen and we file a joint return. Since my wife is neither a citizen nor a permanent resident, she lacks a Social Security number; instead, we use her Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) on our returns. At first I was puzzled as to why this would disqualify me, but it turns out that everyone in this situation is out of luck. The reason is that the U.S. government assumes that anyone using an ITIN on a return is an undocumented immigrant -- even if the address on the return is in Mexico! -- and it denies the stimulus payment not only to the ITIN holder, which is understandable, but also to the principal filer, i.e., the U.S. citizen.

Seems unfair as hell to me. Demographically, you and I are pretty similar -- we're both old white male expats living in Guanajuato -- but you get (or should get) the payment, while I'm disqualified, solely because I'm married to a non-citizen. I've read that there are about a million U.S. citizens in my situation, and some class-action lawsuits have been filed to challenge this IRS ruling. If they succeed, I'll eventually get my $1,200. But I'm not holding my breath.

Don Coulter
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.