• Glenn Wilson
    Nate: I’ve debated writing about this for some time, but since a neighbor was enjoying some fine songs by KISS, Queen, and The Cranberries this morning, I thought today’s the day. I’m not sure why, but I’m always a bit tickled when I hear English-language music here.

If you hear music from a passing car or in a nearby business or home, it is very often traditional Mexican music or Spanish-language pop music. The main things I hear are Norteño music (which is basically a Mexican polka) and Spanish-language pop and hip hop. So maybe the music in English just strikes me as out of place.

We live mostly amongst family homes, but there’s a tienda on our street, a mechanic shop, and a couple of other nearby businesses. Around lunchtime one or two of them may play some music, and it’s usually some type of Norteño music. This week, however, there was a real lunchtime battle going on between Norteño and Ricky Martin. ...

Continue reading and see the pics at To Mexico and Beyond: Music is the universal language. More #ToMexicoAndBeyond.

More in the category Art, Literature, Museums, Music, and Theaters.

Register or sign up for our daily email digest.
  • Bob Broughton
    You should have gone to the Sir Paul McCartney concert in CDMX in 2017. A crowd of 80,000 in Azteca Stadium, mostly Mexicans, and all ages. They knew all the words to all the songs.
    If Sir Paul comes around again, don't miss it.
  • Lisa Rall
    Are you aware of the FM radio station out of Dolores Hidalgo that plays lots of American rock n roll? I think it's 89.7. It's a mish mash of styles and genres, but there's some good classic rock sprinkled in there, too.
  • Bob Broughton

No, I did not know about Magnética (call letters XHPECD). I'm listening to it right now via Shoutcast: https://streamingv2.shoutcast.com/magneticaxhpecd
    They are also on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MagneticaXHPECD/
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.