• Glenn Wilson
    Every Saturday at Cafe Arab'ella from 9am - 11am.
    ayltx65cbkfkedoo.jpg
    This is from the game Morphy-Jefferson, New York simul, 1859. The black king has just moved from f8 to g8. Morphy to move and checkmate in two moves.

Paul Charles Morphy (June 22, 1837 – July 10, 1884) was an American chess player. He is considered to have been the greatest chess master of his era and an unofficial World Chess Champion.
    Paul Morphy

Players of all levels are welcome; from complete beginners to experts. Depending on turn out and interest we'll have casual games, lessons, or blitz chess.

Cafe Arab'ella
    Vicente Guerrero 1
    San Miguel de Allende
    044 415 197 1666

Across from the Shelter Theater. Cafe Arab'ella always has chess sets and other board games available.

Facebook Page
    Google Map

Cafe Arab'ella has great coffee, and bagels, and eggs, and more.

Also see Meetup: Saturday morning chess.
    1571493600_1571500800_W_T_CWeekly0
  • Glenn Wilson
    1te5hkrx52e4n4oq.jpg
    We are meeting again this Saturday. Last week we had five players including a seven year old total beginner, a good nine year old and three strong adults.

The solution to the chess problem in the original post is:
    Reveal
    1. Qf8+ Rxf8
    2. Ne7#
    or, in words, Queen to f8 check, Rook takes Queen on f8, Knight to e7 checkmate.
  • Glenn Wilson
    We will meet again Saturday June 1, 2019. Same time and place. Everyone interested in chess of any age or playing experience (including no experience) is welcome.
  • Glenn Wilson
    We are playing chess again this Saturday morning 9-11 at Cafe Arabella.

Meanwhile the Women's Candidate tournament is taking place
    in Kazan, Russia, from May 29 to June 19, 2019. Eight strongest female grandmasters will play in the competition with a prize fund of 200,000 Euros. ...

The winner of the FIDE Women's Candidates Tournament qualifies for the World Championship Match with Ju Wenjun (China), where both players will compete for a total prize fund of 500,000 Euros (after taxes).

FIDE Women's Candidates Tournament

Alexandra Kosteniuk is currently behind the leaders and has little to no chance of winning. She is a former Women's World Chess Champion and in 2013 she tweeted an endorsement of my chess app when her five year old (at the time) daughter was using it.
    So, I would like to see her do well.

If we can help the five year old daughter of the Women's World Chess Champion learn chess, maybe we can help you. Join us for chess and fun.
  • Justin Barsketis
    Thank you for hosting this Glenn, I had a good time. I will be coming in the future when I can :grin:
  • Glenn Wilson
    We are meeting again Saturday June 15 from 9 am - 11 am.
    We will not be meeting Saturday June 22. (Cafe Arab'ella will be closed.)
  • Glenn Wilson
    We will NOT be meeting Saturday June 22. (Cafe Arab'ella will be closed.)
  • Glenn Wilson
    We are meeting again Saturday June 29 from 9 am - 11 am.
  • Justin Barsketis
    ill be there this week :D
  • Glenn Wilson
    Yes. We are meeting again this Saturday at Cafe Arab'ella from 9am - 11am. The following video is a useful lesson, or review, of 8 common chess mistakes.

Everyone makes mistakes in chess, especially new players just learning the game. Today we look at the top 8 mistakes that players of all skill levels make.

#8 Bringing out your queen too early
    #7 Not controlling the center of the board
    #6 Not Castling
    #5 Protect the King
    #4 Think about opponent's plan
    #3 Don't move pieces more than once
    #2 Stalemate
    #1 Falling for Traps
  • Glenn Wilson
    We are meeting again this Saturday July 20 at Cafe Arab'ella from 9am - 11am.

Basic chess tactics. GM Ben Finegold teaches the beginner's class at CCSCATL (the first, ever!) on September 10, 2017.

• Glenn Wilson
    We are meeting again this Saturday July 27 at Cafe Arab'ella from 9am - 11am. I have a conflict and will not attend this week or next, but the Chess meetup and games will continue without me.
  • Glenn Wilson
    We are meeting again this Saturday August 3 at Cafe Arab'ella from 9am - 11am. I have a conflict and will not attend this week, but the Chess Meetup and games will continue without me. I'll be at the next one on August 10.
  • Glenn Wilson
    Whether you older or younger...

Join us for chess this Saturday Aug 10 at Cafe Arab'ella from 9am - 11am. My conflict (Spanish class) is over and I'll be there.
  • Glenn Wilson
    We are meeting again this Saturday August 17 at Cafe Arab'ella from 9am - 11am. I'll be there.
  • Glenn Wilson
    We are meeting again this Saturday August 24 at Cafe Arab'ella from 9am - 11am. I'll be there.
  • Glenn Wilson
    Again Saturday Sept 7 at Cafe Arab'ella from 9am - 11am. I'll be there.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.