• Glenn Wilson
    Do you ever find yourself short on smaller bills like 200s, 100s or 50s? You may have plenty of cash but you just came from the ATM and your cash is all in 500s?

Here's a little trick I use to get some smaller bills from the ATM.

Say I want to take out $4,000 pesos. Approximately. I used to ask for $4,000 pesos and I'd invariably get eight 500s.

Now, I usually ask for $3,900 (or $3,950 if the machine has 50s). If the machine has smaller bills and can fulfill the request it will and that gets you at least some bills smaller than 500s. If you don't pay an ATM fee, or a small one, and you think its worth it, you can repeat the trick by withdrawing $1,950 followed by another $1,950. Of course, your peso amounts may vary.

As I said, it is a little trick but one I have found helpful.
  • Liz
    What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. :clap:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.