• Glenn Wilson
    Cat Calhoun: One of my New Years’ goals is to walk more. We live in Morelia, Michoacán, a city with excellent public transportation and walkability. Because the public transport is so good, it’s easy to go for weeks at a time and walk no more than to and from my kitchen and to and from the combi stop a mere half of a block from my front door. (A “combi” is a passenger van that holds up to 30 people.) This morning I walked from my house to a local Starbucks then over to our 2ce/weekly mercadito for a dose of produce.

To get to the Starbucks from my house I have to cross a big street. I mean, this would be considered to be a minor highway in the United States. It’s 4 lanes, often with a grassy/tree’d median or turn lane in the middle, and access roads to businesses on both sides. Because Mexico has more of a walking culture than the US does, they build frequent walkway across roads like this for pedestrian traffic. This one is a lovely walk up in the trees. You can see a hint of the mountains in the background.

Some of my peeps in the United States still seem to think I’m living in a developing nation. Not exactly! This is the view from 1/2 way across the pedestrian walk. See all of those yellow leafed trees in this shot? Those are jacarandas. In a couple of weeks those trees will be an explosion of purple leaves and blooms and that’s most of what you’ll see on this street. I love spring in Mexico!

Continue reading at Mexico no Filters: A morning’s walk. More #MexicoNoFilters.

More in the category Art, Literature, Museums, Music, and Theaters.

bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.