• Glenn Wilson
    Don Day: Gourmet food courts. They’re usually called Mercado This or Mercado That in Mexico. The concept originally sounded absolutely amazing to me. Take a few good chefs making a lot of the world’s best dishes and put them all in one place sharing tables and chairs, sharing gas and electricity bills, sharing parking and advertising, and, most importantly, sharing customers. The best laid plans of mice and men and restauranteurs…well, you know what often happens to those plans.

As good as the concept of gourmet food courts sounded, many of them have been dismal failures. In Mexico City. In Oaxaca. And here in San Miguel de Allende. Our first, Mercado Centro, came and went. The second, Mercado Sano survives, but the restaurants on the second floor are as busy as a baseball diamond in December.

Though I’m sure it hasn’t been a roaring success, San Miguel’s Mercado Del Carmen is, at the very least, still existing well into its third year. Tenants have come and gone, including two with established restaurants in other parts of town, but it’s rare that I’ve ever seen any of the space in the building unoccupied.

One of Mercado Del Carmen’s newest tenants is Chikatana. ...

Continue at Don Day in SMA: Ravin’ about ramen. More #DonDay.

More in the category Restaurants.

More in the category Cooking.

Register or sign up for our daily email digest.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.