• Investigation into the death of Ana Daniela,
    • US Manufacturing Stuck in Dour Mood,
    • A 'blue zones' diet: Live longer from what you eat,
    • Coal power becoming 'uninsurable' as firms refuse cover,
    • Solid or liquid?

~~~~~
    Local News Sites
    Looking for more news? These are our top local news sites:
    San Miguel Times | Atención* | Noticias Con Valor (sp) | News San Miguel (sp).
    See our Links page for more news sites.
    * - The Atención website has not been working for a few days.
    ~~~~~

Drug Cartels Muscle Into Mexican Town Packed With Americans
    San Miguel de Allende oozes old Mexico charm.

There are the cobblestone streets, the colonial-era buildings and wrought-iron balconies, the neo-Gothic steeples soaring high above the pink-sandstone church anchoring a corner of the main plaza. Travel and Leisure magazine has twice named it the best city in the world, a ratification of how beloved it is with tourists and retirees from the U.S., Canada and beyond.

But lately, San Miguel has been attracting a very different sort of crowd: the drug cartels. And the moment they arrived and began pushing cocaine and imposing their brutal brand of property tax, the murders began.
    Drug Cartels Muscle Into Mexican Town Packed With Americans.

San Miguel public works project is 85% complete: mayor
    San Miguel de Allende Mayor Luis Alberto Villarreal said Sunday the public works project on the Avenida Guadalupe is 85% complete.

Accompanied by the local director of public works and infrastructure, Antonio Soria, Villarreal spoke with constituents who live in the area and listened to their opinions on the project.

The repaving of the street with stamped concrete will benefit the estimated 5,000 students who attend the area’s five schools, as well as over 700 local businesspeople who make a living there, he said.
    San Miguel public works project is 85% complete: mayor.
    See also: Works supervised in San Miguel de Allende (sp).

Children with chickenpox DIF are infected; dads denounce delay to activate protocols, DIF says he did it on time
    Twenty-two children who attend the Child Development Assistance Center (C.A.D.I.), of the DIF in San Miguel de Allende, were infected with chickenpox; the virus of the foot, hand and mouth and others with "lice", after an outbreak that today has them in bed.
    Children with chickenpox DIF are infected; dads denounce delay to activate protocols, DIF says he did it on time (sp).

Guanajuato Prosecutor's Office maintains investigation into the death of Ana Daniela
    The @FGEGUANAJUATO reports that he is in the process of inquiring to clarify the unfortunate death of the young Ana Daniela, who was found lifeless inside her home on the night of November 30.
    The State Prosecutor General's Office informs that it is in the process of inquiring to clarify the unfortunate death of the young Ana Daniela, who was found lifeless inside her home on the night of November 30.
    Guanajuato Prosecutor's Office maintains investigation into the death of Ana Daniela (sp).
    See also: Prosecutor's Office allocates equipment to investigate the death of Dani, the Biology student of the U de Gto (sp), and, Ana Daniela was killed (sp), and, Before official closing, women cry: Daniela's was not suicide, it was feminicide! (sp).

US Manufacturing Stuck in Dour Mood, After the Boom Last Year
    The US manufacturing sector remains in a dour mood, according to data released today from two sources, one painting a picture that is dourer than the other, but both agreeing that it’s not fun anymore after the manufacturing boom last year.
    US Manufacturing Stuck in Dour Mood, After the Boom Last Year.

A 'blue zones' diet: Live longer from what you eat
    Want to live a long, healthy life? So do I. That's why for the past 15 years I've explored places around the world where people have done exactly that — places I dubbed "blue zones." And I'm convinced that the foods the people in these areas eat are a big part of their secret.

On the Italian island of Sardinia, I've broken bread in mountain villages that boast some of the highest concentrations of male centenarians on the globe. On the Japanese islands of Okinawa, I've sat down for tea with those who rank among the world's longest living women.
    On the Greek island of Ikaria, where it's said people simply "forget to die," I've tucked into a hearty bowl of minestrone with friends who not only live long, healthy lives but also stay sharp to the very end and suffer the world's lowest rates of dementia. On Costa Rica's Nicoya Peninsula, I've started the day with tortillas, beans and pico de gallo among country folk who are more likely to reach a healthy 90 years old than anyone else on the planet.
    And in and around Loma Linda, California, I've been invited to dinner with members of a thriving Seventh-day Adventist community whose vegetarian diet has helped them live up to a decade longer than other Americans.
    A 'blue zones' diet: Live longer from what you eat.

Coal power becoming 'uninsurable' as firms refuse cover
    The number of insurers withdrawing cover for coal projects more than doubled this year and for the first time US companies have taken action, leaving Lloyd’s of London and Asian insurers as the “last resort” for fossil fuels, according to a new report.

The report, which rates the world’s 35 biggest insurers on their actions on fossil fuels, declares that coal – the biggest single contributor to climate change – “is on the way to becoming uninsurable” as most coal projects cannot be financed, built or operated without insurance.
    Coal power becoming 'uninsurable' as firms refuse cover.

Solid or liquid?

Thanks for reading!

~~~~~
    We use google translation, sometimes with some manual editing. How to use Google translations. News sites, Twitter feeds and Facebook pages are on our Links page.

More in the category Activities and Events and News and Views.

Register or sign up for our daily newsletter.
  • Tom Hammer
    Regarding living longer in certain parts of the world, it is just as likely that good genes in these folks caused their long life as it is that due to their diets.
  • Glenn Wilson
    There can certainly be a genetic aspect. But, ...

Studies have shown that Seventh-day Adventists, who have a broad range of ethnic backgrounds, live as much as a decade longer than the rest of us, which led to Loma Linda being identified as one of five longevity spots, called Blue Zones, on the planet and the only one in the United States.
    Why Loma Linda residents live longer than the rest of us: They treat the body like a temple.

And ...

So, 90 plus percent whole food plant-based makes it a highly anti-inflammatory diet, makes it a highly antioxidant diet. If you measure the level of oxidized fat within their system, there is compelling evidence of less free radical damage. Maybe they just genetically have better antioxidant enzymes or something? No, their antioxidant enzyme activity is the same; it’s all the extra antioxidants that they’re getting from their diet that may be making the difference—most of their diet is vegetables!
    The Okinawa Diet: Living to 100.
  • Tom Hammer
    Thanks for the excellent response. I looked at both your sources and conclude that they are only opinions, not scientific studies. I hope that both are correct, since I largely follow the Seventh Day Adventists´ ideas, but not out of religious belief. I would like to see some peer-reviewed scientific studies that support your sources.
  • Glenn Wilson
    I am curious to see future studies that compare the outcomes of blue zoners and their descendants as the descendants adapt different diets and lifestyles or maintain those of their ancestors.

In the meantime, there is this evidence comparing Adventists with Adventists and demonstrating differing health outcomes based on diet:
    33scrniho4yk38i8.jpg
    Fast forward 50 years to the Adventist-2 study, looking at 89,000 people and we see a stepwise drop in the rates of diabetes as one eats more and more plant-based, down to a 78% lower prevalence among those eating strictly plant-based. Protection building incrementally as one moved from eating meat, to eating less meat, to just fish, to no meat, and then to no eggs and dairy either.

We see the same thing with another leading killer, high blood pressure. The greater the proportion of plant foods, the lower the rates of hypertension. The same with excess body fat. The only dietary group not on average overweight were those eating diets composed exclusively of plant foods, but again this same incremental drop with fewer and fewer animal products. This suggests that it’s not black and white, not all or nothing; any steps one can make towards eating healthier may accrue significant benefits.
    Plant-Based Diets and Diabetes
    (If you scroll below the video there are View Transcript and Sources Cited tabs with the text and links to the studies cited.)

There are multiple factors involved but diet seems to be one of them in living a long and healthy life.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.