• Tina
    I3:ideas that inform and inspire presents
    Pam Ronald: The Future Of Food

The “season of eating” is upon us, making the upcoming i³ presentation especially timely. We all want healthy, nutritious, affordable food produced with the least environmental impact, but there is widespread disagreement on how best to accomplish this, exemplified by the “Organic” vs. “GMO” divide.

Meet Pam Ronald. In her spare time, she’s an enthusiastic organic gardener, but in her day job as a plant scientist at UC Davis, she practices genetic engineering; i.e. she makes GMOs. While that may sound problematic, Pam finds nothing ironic about it. Her husband heads the organic farming program at UC Davis, and together they’ve written the book, Tomorrow's Table: Organic Farming, Genetics, and the Future of Food. They envision a sustainable food future that’s built on the best that regenerative organic practices and bioengineering have to offer.

Few among us are farmers, and fewer still are crop scientists, but all of us eat and deserve to be well informed about our food systems. The U.N. estimates that by mid-century, we’ll need to produce twice as much food to feed the world’s growing and increasingly prosperous population. Pulling this off—in a changing climate, from diminishing resources, while minimizing habitat destruction and biodiversity loss—may be the single greatest challenge facing humanity.

Join Pam as she leads us on a journey from the research labs to the fields, negotiating a tricky political, economic and cultural landscape in between. Along the way we’ll learn about groundbreaking advances in artificial breeding techniques and the real world challenges that farmers face every day.

Dr. Pamela Ronald is a distinguished professor in the Department of Plant Pathology and the Genome Center at UC Davis. She also serves as director of the UC Davis Institute for Food and Agricultural Literacy, and is the recipient of awards and honors too numerous to mention here.

Pam’s presentation will conclude with a Q&A session, followed by an informal reception with free botanas and beverages available for purchase. You won’t want to miss this!

Advance tickets $250 pesos online or at the Biblioteca gift shop on Insurgentes. $300 pesos at the door.

Facebook | Website | Instagram

Buy Tickets

Thursday, December 12, 5pm
    La Casona Event Center
    Josefina Orozco 2
    I3sma.org
    1576191600_1576191600_N_T_C0
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to San Miguel Frequently Asked Questions!

Expat and immigrant English language resources and community for San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico. Visitors to this site may browse.

Register to receive the optional daily email digest.

Registration is also required to post or vote in polls. When you register, we will send you an email with a link. Open that email and click that link to complete the process and confirm your email.